View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FILBS234
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks to everybody..looks like the chasing problem is quite normal...thanks again..Allan
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Allan,

If you find something that works, can you let me know please, our GSD will track them til he's exhausted. He has an excellent recall when no prey around
FILBS234
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks to everyone,looks like I am not the only one that has this problem...thanks..Allan
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Do any of you ever ask yourself what happens to the deer your dogs chase? I work at the largest country park in Hampshire and I get heartily sick of the goings on. We had two young ladies out for a stroll in the country and ended up carrying back to the centre a fawn, which somebodies dog had killed, the mother of the fawn was distraught, or have you ever had to disentangle a deer that has hung itself on a fence in its panic or aborted its fawn?, or is entangled in brambles? Who picks up the vets bills that have to be paid? not any of you. You probably go home and don't give it a second thought. If your dog isn't reliable keep it on a lead. We regularly lose deer to irresponsible dog owners.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
When she spots something to chase the only way we can stop her is to give her a very firm 'No' during the second between her noticing it and deciding to chase. Once she has made up her mind to chase it is too late. To begin with the 'No' should be replaced with 'jump about like a complete tit and make lots of noise - anything to be more interesting than the quarry'.

So our only way with the elder one is to be one step ahead and extra vigillant.
I really agree with this. My two are the same. I had a deer pop out of the woods just in front of us a few months back but as I saw it the same time as Hoki, I just had time to say no and she was fine.

Whilst some dogs will have perfect recall even on a chase, I think the average dog does seem to block everything out and does effectively turn deaf once the chase has started.

I must admit I don't stop mine chasing the rabbits, but I would not let them chase the deer (in fact, think it may be illegal, though not sure on that). If there's a continued risk of him chasing deer it may be worth using a long line for awhile until you are confident that you can stop a chase before it starts.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I can't speak for anybody else because my situation is not all that common, but if the deer come onto our school site...they're going to get chased! I guess it's not the same situation as a country park though.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 08:44 PM
My youngest Irish Setter is the same!! Where I walk there are 5 deer and she often finds them! I used to jump up and down, terrified, anxious and angry!! It did not work and all the other dog walkers told me to relax ' there is not a hope in hell she will catch them, they are just playing with her'!!!
Anyway, I gave up calling and yelling, I just stop or walk very slowly, make sure she knows where I am and she trots back (tongue about 2 miles long and very happy).
I am still a worry wart and hate her chasing deer, but am not worried as much as I was.
FILBS234
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Moetmum Its because we do care that we ask these questions!!!!!
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2008, 10:53 PM
The best answer i can give is don't take them to areas you know they will be at risk of chasing... Round here farmers are very shotgun happy its just not worth the risk and if it means driving an extra 2 miles to a secure beach so be it..
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 12:52 AM
The only idea that I have is maybe carrying an air horn with you on your walks and as the dog starts to chase blow it. Im not sure if it will work. Or maybe teaching the dog to come to a whistle. It might be something they can hear over a voice. Again Im not sure just thoughts.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >