View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Quick question; if when you get the pup home and keep him in your room so that you can hear him when he needs to go, how do you then move on to putting him in his usual place? I'm not sure how i'm going to train my pup but i know he won't be staying in my room forever. Would it make training difficult if he slept in my room to begin with, then as he got to the point where he was holding it all night, he slept in another room?

Is it better to start as you mean to go on and have the pup in the room where he will always sleep from day one?
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2006, 10:10 AM
We haven't done I'm afraid. Before we got the pup we talked about how we were going to housetrain her, and it came down to a decision about which would drive us madder, house-training for longer over lack of sleep. We both, OH especially, suffer for lack of sleep, so we decided that getting up in the night would be more detrimental.

We've been very lucky actually. Bongo seems averse to soiling her pen anyway, even though there's about 1.5 square metres in addition to her bed, so she doesn't really "go" during the night unless she really needs to.
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I am watching this topic also... I already have a dog and am expecting a puppy over the next few months. My 3yr old would obviously have his nose put out of joint if I suddenly take pup into my room with me at night and he is left in his usual place... help??!!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I was lucky with Poppy, OH doesn't come to bed til 1am ish, and I used to get up at 6am for work. Now she's 17 months old she can actually hold it for 9 or 10 hours - not that I make a habit of that. If OH is away, I let her out at 11pm, and if I want a lie in til 9.30/10am, I'll take her out at about 4am or 5am when I generally wake up for a wee.

I think if I was toilet training a puppy now, I'd be willing to take them out during the night when I got up for a wee - after all, it only takes a few extra minutes and I've noticed with Poppy that if I do let her out at about 4 or 5 before it starts getting light and she thinks it's time to play, she does seem to appreciate it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tee
Quick question; if when you get the pup home and keep him in your room so that you can hear him when he needs to go, how do you then move on to putting him in his usual place? I'm not sure how i'm going to train my pup but i know he won't be staying in my room forever. Would it make training difficult if he slept in my room to begin with, then as he got to the point where he was holding it all night, he slept in another room?

Is it better to start as you mean to go on and have the pup in the room where he will always sleep from day one?
Hi Tee I have never found this to be a problem, as the puppy grows more confident and gets control of it's bodily functions you can move it to where it normally has its bed during the daytime..this explains it better

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2