Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Lara'sYorkies View Post
You do in my garden

Honestly- it depends but really I don't think people are doing it better, i'm sure dogs were healthier on table scraps, butchers bones etc. Personally, mine are raw fed and have the odd bit of healthy cooked scraps, but thats not for everyone.
If their poos are white you need to up the meat content of their diet.

The diet you're feeding may not be for everyone; but it sounds like the best to me. :smt001

As for the roasted/raw bones thing. Raw everytime. It's the dried out cooked bones that cause the problems with dogs. Never seen a dog in the wild cooking; they are designed to deal with raw meat and bones.

EDIT to add: They only sell the cooked ones in the pet stores because people like to give their dogs bones and they can't sell raw bones off the shelves and cooked has a longer shelf life..... Nothing to do with them being of any benifit to the dog.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 11:30 AM
all our family dogs were given a mixture of complete biscuits and scraps. By that i mean, yogurt pots, a couple of forkfuls from our meals, the odd half digestive, couple of crisps, last segament of satsuma etc....

china has just been introduced to bonios as my previous dog loved them and she goes mental for them now!!
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If their poos are white you need to up the meat content of their diet.

The diet you're feeding may not be for everyone; but it sounds like the best to me. :smt001

As for the roasted/raw bones thing. Raw every time. It's the dried out cooked bones that cause the problems with dogs. Never seen a dog in the wild cooking; they are designed to deal with raw meat and bones.

EDIT to add: They only sell the cooked ones in the pet stores because people like to give their dogs bones and they can't sell raw bones off the shelves and cooked has a longer shelf life..... Nothing to do with them being of any benefit to the dog.
As far as I was aware from other forums, books etc the perfect raw poops should not be white when they are actually done but turn whiteish if you leave them in the garden for a few hours, incorrect?

Raw meaty consumable bones are pliable and can be crunched up and eaten, cooking them changes their structure making them fragile and much more likely to cause problems. Also, large hard bones such as beef bones and the leg bones of large animals are debatable, most raw feeders avoid them nicknaming them 'wreck' bones because of their tendency to damage teeth.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lara'sYorkies View Post
As far as I was aware from other forums, books etc the perfect raw poops should not be white when they are actually done but turn whiteish if you leave them in the garden for a few hours, incorrect?

Raw meaty consumable bones are pliable and can be crunched up and eaten, cooking them changes their structure making them fragile and much more likely to cause problems. Also, large hard bones such as beef bones and the leg bones of large animals are debatable, most raw feeders avoid them nicknaming them 'wreck' bones because of their tendency to damage teeth.
Hiya,

Yes, you are right. They gradually turn white (though I would have thought over a day or two rather than hours) and eventually powder. :smt001 I miss read your post and thought they were coming out that way.
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
When I got my first dog, in 1970, his adult diet (he was a Beagle) was 5 Spiller's shapes for breakfast, (one of each colour I think! ) tinned meat and mixer for tea, and a Bonio at bedtime.
How things have changed. BUT - have dogs changed? What is different/better about "modern" feeding (complete food in particular) or did it just become fashionable?
Dalmatians who are diagnosed with kidney stones are often "prescribed" Hill's but in the old days we got by with rice, vegetables and a bit of chicken - which appeared to work.
Are the old ways really inferior? Are we feeding our dogs better now?
I remember mum with the bonios when we had our first dog (who happened to be a Beagel too)

I have EBT's and have found that the commercial foods don't give the shine to the coat and don't add the condition that just ordinary mince/mixed veg/rice/pasta, the occassional raw meaty bone or raw chicken frame for their teeth do so I feed the 'old fashioned' way. Apart from the skin allergies (which the breed are known for & I have gotten some great natural tips for on Dogsey) they are much healthier and happierand this also goes for what comes out the rear too.

Vet visits are only for vacc and yearly check ups.

I for one am very much in favour of the 'old ways'.
Lozzy100
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I think alot of it today is personal choice, but like everything if you look back at the human race you will notice we are all living longer, mainly because of our diets and medicines, i think this also applies to our four legged friends, in the old days my dad used to wash his dogs with washing up liquid never did them any harm or did it?
Also my grandad used to rub his pups nose in their pee and he thought it never harmed them, but we now know it does harm them...so alot of this is down too change the foods are better now than what they were, there was not alot of choice back then, so this is why i feel it is personal choice.
Also we know alot more about dogs than we did years back, we know that possitive training is far better than negative, and that you should never hit your much loved pet. after all back then the only trainer on tv i knew about was barbera woodhouse,,remember her...lol but with all the dog programmes on now we have far more understanding of what our four legged friends need.

My dogs are fed on burns complete and love it, i do give them treats, i also give them raw egg with the shell on a couple of times a month as it is good for them and their coats. I also give them some raw chicken and raw veg which they love.

This is a very interesting thread
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lozzy100 View Post
I think alot of it today is personal choice, but like everything if you look back at the human race you will notice we are all living longer, mainly because of our diets and medicines,
Probably off topic for a dog forum thread; But we as a human race are actually starting on a downward trend with regard to length of life. In recent years, due to diet etc people aren't lving as long as previous generations.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Our dogs were always fed on scraps and the odd tin of food, but mostly bits of meaty bones the butcher had going spare, they all lived good long healthy lives, then later on we fed some of our sammies dried feed(we were advised this was better for them) they did have much shorter lives unfortunately, wether that was due to the food or just bad luck I couldnt say, all my lot are now on completely raw diet and touch wood rarely have health issues.

Mo
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I was brought up with a white and black poodle! He (Freddie) was fed on scraps and the odd tin of Pal (which prolongs active life as the advertisement would say). He never needed to see a vet and lived to the ripe old age of 17.

One thing that was common all of those years ago was the number of dogs that were just 'let out' to do their own thing. I'm talking 30-40 years ago, less traffic on the roads, less pedigree dogs about to be stolen too. Not many people had pedigrees in those days, it was either a cross colliie, cross lab or a JR/yorkie type. In those days dogs were given 'three chances' if they bit, and no such thing as a dog warden!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2