View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Depending on what "kind" of retrieve you wanna be able to do, I would be careful with tugging games while teaching it.
IMO the object isnt to play with and can teach your dog a very bad habbit that will cause conflits and big probs if it picks it up.

The "hold" command is what I would suggest too.
And I would train it indoors and when your dog is quiet and you have full attention.
We have special dummies to teach with if you have probs.
Should you wish for it, IŽd be happy to give it.
Just pm me

J: TTT
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by amts
J: TTT
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Amts,I really appreciate the advice!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with amts.

It depends on the retrieve, I started doing working trials with my flattie and I got taught a different way to the normal retrieve and since then I've never looked back and intend to use it for every dog I have next !! He got taught retrieve 'backwards' I'd always had a problem with getting my dogs to give the toy or dumbell to me without them spitting it out for the treat.

First the dog was taught to just touch the bar of the dumbell, he was clicked when he just touched it with his nose, but if he touched the ends of it, he'd be told 'wrong' after that sunk in, he had to move onto either licking or mouthing the bar, both my dogs will try and pick up anything anyway so I had it easy it there. After that he was clicked for having his mouth over it longer, all the time I was holding onto the end of the dumbell, then we moved onto him holding it on his own for a few seconds and when he released it into my hand he got clicked, I always hand him stretch out his head a bit though to target the dumbell to my hand. I never reached in to take it off him. After that, I'd put it at my feet and he'd be told 'hold' and pick it up and give it to me.

With toys however he used to either give them back to me or he can run off with them, I never really used to mind as he knew that toys are for play, and I've NEVER EVER used the dumbell or the gundog dummies for play. His favourite toy is the kong on a rope so he'll happily chase and retrieve that all day, since I've gotten more seriously into gundog stuff though I've had to change my play habits with him in regards to retrieve, because I used to let him run off with his toys before and never be to bothered about if he didnt bring them back, he sometimes wouldnt bring the dummy in to me, well he'd bring it in but would turn his back on me so I couldnt get it ! So technically he was still doing the retrieve ! Now with toys if he doesn't return the kong to my hand then it doesnt get thrown again, and it gets put away. It only took 3 walks for this to happen and he'll bring it back and give it to me 99% of the time now. But it's because of me not starting off with the 'always bring it back to me' when he was a puppy that he's a bit like that now with toys. But because he was taught the way he was for the dumbell I've never had a problem with him spitting toys or dummies out for a treat. Dummies now I can rely on him pretty much 100% for him to always return now and give up to me, as he knows there'll be another dummy somewhere out in the field for him to retrieve, I alternate using another retrieve or food as a reward. My dog really hates seeing other dogs retrieving if he's not out there doing the same

Gosh I've just looked at how much I've typed and I havent half gone on a bit sorry Hope this gives some insight !
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Willow i really appreciate the advice, thanks for taking the time
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2