Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Hats and sunglasses can definitely get some of them worked up.

Graeme
But my young son 17 wears a hats and glass's all the time and he loves him to bits.
Bubbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:09 PM
i have same probs with my dog he is still a pup, however he is happy as larry with
everone except my 5 yr old boy. very strange,
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:30 PM
as your son a little ruff with him? mabe he has palyed ruff with him and the pup liked it and wants to plat more like that and that is how he is sowing it
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 06:35 PM
not saying this as happened, but has your son maybe told him off alot or anything like that
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2005, 06:41 PM
In my opinion there has been some kind of incident between the pup and your eldest son, it may be play related or it maybe that your son has unintentionally hurt the pup in someway, and the pup is showing aggression in an attemp to stop this reoccuring. Or he has possibly broken his temper with play and the pup is merely carrying on where the last episode left off.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:03 PM
wot do u mean by aggressive?
as the pup is only 14 weeks it is most likely over excited play or normal puppy behaviour?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I agree with Jenny. A 14 week old pup cannot be labelled 'aggressive' . What exactly is happening? When is it happening? What do you/your son do when it happens?

SB
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT
not saying this as happened, but has your son maybe told him off alot or anything like that
Not in front of me !!! Just the normal "OFF or NO" I would say myself and other son tell him off more .
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
wot do u mean by aggressive?
as the pup is only 14 weeks it is most likely over excited play or normal puppy behaviour?
Understand what you say but no, This is biting, snapping, showing of teeth,
I have watched my son sat at the pc and harley just jumps at him barking snapping, my son yes tells him off and no he just grows at him.

Like to think its only puppy play but it seems only to be him.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Does, or did, your son play with the pup a lot?

Are you 100% sure that the pup is not trying to initiate play?

Pups do not have hands or voices, they cannot pull someone to come & play, they cannot say 'come and play with me', all they have is their teeth and their growly or barking vocalisations.

I cannot understand that it could be real aggression in such a young dog which shows no ill behaviour towards others. If it is true aggression (which I doubt) then, I'm sorry to say, the fault must lie with something that has occurred between your son and the pup. However, it would be very unusual for a dog of that age to initiate aggressive contact with anyone that has hurt or frightened it unless that person approaches the pup.

Whatever. To deal with the problem that you have described your son should totally ignore the dog. Even telling the pup 'no' or 'off' is rewarding it with attention. He should simply ignore the bad behaviour, no eye contact, no speaking. He must be consistent in this. No ignoring the pup when he can't be bothered and then giving in and playing when he feels like it. Your pup needs to learn rules and boundaries by means of kind, thoughtful, and consistent training which lavishly rewards the good, desired, behaviour and ignores the bad.

It would be a good idea to start some basic obedience training so that you can teach the pup to settle down when he is getting over the top.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >