View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi, I know that many people feed bones of all shapes and sizeds without problems I had a few bad experiences with my last dog.

I never gave chicken bones because like your pup she was apt to be greedy and would gulp down without chewing (this later led to her near death with a pigs ear.........she virtually swallowed it whole and it swelled up and caused a blockage) but she did have marrow bones. Sometimes from the butcher, raw, and sometimes the roasted or smoked ones. All of these caused problems in that she was able to bite off chunks and swallow them. I stopped giving them altogether eventually because she was never going to be sensible and the vet said that he actually didn't agree with bones at all for dogs such as her.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Some bones are usually considered dangerous. There seems to be some question about the safety of any of them. My observation is that even if they don't cause other problems, they wear the teeth. Dogs do fine without them. I never give any to mine.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Some bones are usually considered dangerous. There seems to be some question about the safety of any of them. My observation is that even if they don't cause other problems, they wear the teeth. Dogs do fine without them. I never give any to mine.
How sad your dogs are missing out on so much........
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Yes, teeth worn to nubbins, trips to the vet, .....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 04:05 AM
really, you speak from experience? How odd - in all the years weve had dogs who always got bones, never came across that. Maybe the dogs had something wrong with their teeth to begin with
KelliJasper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2010, 06:40 AM
If you do want to try it sometime, I would use one with meat on the bone and hold it while he chews so he doesn't just gobble it up quickly. And that way he may also learn to use more patience while eating
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by KelliJasper View Post
If you do want to try it sometime, I would use one with meat on the bone and hold it while he chews so he doesn't just gobble it up quickly. And that way he may also learn to use more patience while eating
Hi Kelli while this may be OK with some dogs, as a number of posters here have found to their cost, messing about with a dog's food while it is eating can lead to resource guarding.
Watch a dog with its food by all means but dogs are best left to eat in peace.
JeannieB
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Can I appear really dumb here? Why do people do raw feeding especially when there are so many risks involved?

Just wondered.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 01:41 PM
no...worn teeth are from large weight bearing bones..i personally wouldnt recomend them anyway
Originally Posted by JeannieB View Post
Can I appear really dumb here? Why do people do raw feeding especially when there are so many risks involved?

Just wondered.
life is a risk .... there only seems to be more of a risk because you are 'looking' for them

a dog can still choke etc from kibble too
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by JeannieB View Post

Just wondered.
I disagree with it, but I think most people that feed raw sincerely believe it is better for their dogs. Rather than add to this off topic subject, I will suggest you go to http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles2.html#nutrition There is material there presenting both sides.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >