View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I've had a dog with several fatty lumps although his were only golf ball size. He was otherwise fit and healthy and would no doubt have been fine having them removed but why put them under GA without a very good reason. If the skin is now bothering your dog I would apply a soothing topical cream and put a t-shirt on him to prevent access to the lump. At 19 I personally wouldn't even consider an op and you do have to accept it's a fabulous age to reach, you've both been very lucky but his time will now be fairly limited so I would make him as comfortable as possible and enjoy what time you have left.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I am disgusted by the response by one person on here, and I only hope that the OP can disregard it.

Our first dog grew a lump on his chest, which by the age of 15 was the size of an orange.........it was inoperable, not just because of his age but also because of where it was. He was in no discomfort whatsoever and died at 17 from something totally unrelated. To scream that someone should put their dog down because they have a large lump is unforgiveable and I pity any dogs owned by the unfeeling responder on here.

Neukum, this licking is a problem because it might cause infection and the best thing to do in my opinion is seek a vet's help again.

Good luck
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
Lot's of sensitivity for an old dog that has been suffering, for fools that should not be allowed an animal none whatsoever. I have seen too many animals that have suffered at the hands of their owners to care about their feelings.
Well to my certain knowledge fatty lumps are not fatal and any suffering is fairly minimal, the dog is sore from constant licking. So because the dog is old and has a sore you would have it put to sleep? Dogs if lucky get old, they suffer with all sorts of ailments as a result, most are manageable and even if not then a degree of sensitivity in trying to get your point across would not go amiss.
I'm sorry there is no excuse for rudeness. I don't care how passionate you are about dog welfare.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:47 PM
First of all I would like to say 'well done' to the Original Poster for rescuing this dog and for taking such good care of him. Many of us have had the wonderful experience of knowing and loving a dog into his/her old age and we know only too well that with this comes the difficulty of dealing with the problems which come with age. My Tilly had several lipomas which the vet advised to leave alone, until one of them grew to such an extent that it was impeding the movement of her right front leg - at this stage we had it removed and also a fair sized one on her chest - she was 9 at the time, suffered no ill effects of the surgery and lived to the age of 16. Had she been the age of the original posters dog, we might not have gone for the surgery, but we would certainly not have been puting her to sleep on the basis of a non-malignant tumour, but like the OP we would be looking for ways to help her cope with the tumour, and remain as comfortable as possible. The suggestions of soothing cream and T- shirt, along with another chat with the vet seem to me to be the sensible way forward on the basis of the information we have at the moment.
I wish the OP and his/her dog all the luck in the world, and I hope a way is found to allow them to enjoy each other for as long as possible.
Meg
Supervisor

23-06-2013, 09:28 PM
....**Note some posts have been removed, please do not start personal arguments in threads.
Thank you
Neukum
New Member!
Male 

24-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the feed back and I have taken my dog to the vet and it was tested and it was just fatty tissue and the vet is the one who advised me to just leave it be cause as I said it my pal was 17 when it started and it rapidly grew within the past 2 months and now my pal being 19 the vet said surgery is outta the question cause of his age I joined this site not to be spoken to as a bad pet owner so know ur facts before posting such horrible replays to me when u don't even know the whole story and how fast all this happen I was simply asking advice on how to make him more comfortable !!!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 01:35 AM
I'm glad the lump is nothing serious.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Neukum View Post
Thanks for the feed back and I have taken my dog to the vet and it was tested and it was just fatty tissue and the vet is the one who advised me to just leave it be cause as I said it my pal was 17 when it started and it rapidly grew within the past 2 months and now my pal being 19 the vet said surgery is outta the question cause of his age I joined this site not to be spoken to as a bad pet owner so know ur facts before posting such horrible replays to me when u don't even know the whole story and how fast all this happen I was simply asking advice on how to make him more comfortable !!!
Well thank you for clearing this up. On facts I see from yoir original post that your dog had a tumour for the last 4yrs. Now it appears that the tumour has became tissue and has only been present for 2yrs and has been growing for only 2 months. As you say facts shown be known shouldn't they.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
Do stop what exactly? I merely pointed out the huge discrepancies in the OP's 2 statements. Or do you not like a little thing like truth getting in the way? It was the OP that made 2 completely different statements,not me. Make of it what you will.
There was no discrepancies. If you would have exercised patience, the op would have added more info. Writing on a forum is a lot different than an actual verbal conversation and details get left out by accident. It happens all the time.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
There was no discrepancies. If you would have exercised patience, the op would have added more info. Writing on a forum is a lot different than an actual verbal conversation and details get left out by accident. It happens all the time.
In the first post the dog had the tumour for 4yrs. In the second post the dog had a fatty tissue for 2yrs. Where do you not see the discrepancy? The details were not only not left out they were changed. The OP has added more info, unfortunately it contradicts the info they gave in the first place.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >