Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
sad day in town if u didnt see a fox... u dont stand alone, i iz wiv ya

eta... far too many humans too...me thinks a urban cull is overdue
I agree
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 02:49 PM
How about they try and spend the money cleaning up after people so there is less food/vermin for urban foxes to eat and there wont be such a problem will there . . . .

I have to agree it seems like an atempt to pave the way to bring back the hunt.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Whats worse, a cull to thinen numbers, which would be a quick death for them and people learning to be cleaner, or people learning to be cleaner, making sure that foxes have less chance to associate houses and people with food, and foxes struggling for food, many starving some starving to death which means a drawn out painful death because a lot of urban foxes rely on human behaviour?

We hunted animals like wolves to extintion which would probally hunt foxes, we took away a natural predator, so I believe its our job to keep numbers down to benefit Foxes.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 03:45 PM
imo - a wild animal should have the chance to live a life thats natural to them.. Only the fittest survie in all walks of life - who are we to decide that some should be destroyed and others should be let be???
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
imo - a wild animal should have the chance to live a life thats natural to them.. Only the fittest survie in all walks of life - who are we to decide that some should be destroyed and others should be let be???
Urban foxes are not living in the wild, living on their wits though are they? They have been very successful in towns and now the numbers are far too high. I like foxes and have cared for some very sick ones at a wildlife hospital. But like seals and deer in other places the numbers must be controlled for the benefit of the foxes. If there is another incident where a child is attacked then people might start seizing the initiative and culling every fox they see. A controlled humane cull would be far better...for foxes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:09 PM
A cull would be fairly pointless IMO as foxes are territorial. If you make a space, a fox will move into it.
Anyway - are we talking poison or shooting here? Would anyone be happy at poison being used - and guns are not the best idea in an urban enviroment.
Boris is shooting his mouth off to get headlines. It`s what he does.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A cull would be fairly pointless IMO as foxes are territorial. If you make a space, a fox will move into it.
Anyway - are we talking poison or shooting here? Would anyone be happy at poison being used - and guns are not the best idea in an urban enviroment.
Boris is shooting his mouth off to get headlines. It`s what he does.
They trapped and then shot the others they caught recently.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I would think in urban areas humane traps then either injection or bullet.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I have seen foxes culled by pest control on tv before, they used bullets then. It was quick and less stressful than being trapped, at least.
I think that the problem is that foxes are becoming braver, they are out more in the daytime and aren't as wary as humans. Maybe a cull would help, but then again, many many foxes are killed on roads or succumb to mange and poisons so it's not like there isn't already a large amount of indirect population control. Their average lifespan in an urban environment is around a year.
If people didn't leave so much junk around for rats etc to eat, or put out chicken carcasses in bin liners overnight with no deterrent it wouldn't have gotten this bad. With less food available foxes will need to maintain larger territories in which to find food, hence some foxes will be pushed out into semi-rural/rural areas and the population will equalise. An initial cull would help to thin out the population so that starvation etc is limited, but it won't take very long for the population to climb back up unless a lot more steps are taken to prevent it, and frankly I can't see those being a priority for the government in this financial climate- more likely they will just cull in order to look like they've done something useful to the public! Imo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The other thing that stinks is the parents of the twin girls being threatened and vilified by anti hunt groups.

Unbelievable!

rune

Completely agree with that, !!!

Suggesting the parents set this up because they are hunt supporters is the most bizarre thing I have heard so far.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Personally, I think an urban Fox cull is long overdue.
Me too, regardless of this case, a cull is well over due!!

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Whats worse, a cull to thinen numbers, which would be a quick death for them and people learning to be cleaner, or people learning to be cleaner, making sure that foxes have less chance to associate houses and people with food, and foxes struggling for food, many starving some starving to death which means a drawn out painful death because a lot of urban foxes rely on human behaviour?

We hunted animals like wolves to extinction which would probally hunt foxes, we took away a natural predator, so I believe its our job to keep numbers down to benefit Foxes.
I agree, to ensure wild life is fit and healthy , we have to control numbers.

I dont support the petition at all,
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >