Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Rescues need to charge the prices they do to cover costs... also, not all rescues charge that amount. I got Jake from the SSPCA, and their prices range (when i got Jake in May 09) from £75 to £110, and they cover the cost of neutering... so that is nothing compared to the money they spend on the dogs. Some rescues do charge more, but it is easy to get a rescue for a small price.

Re. breeders, they have to cover costs of breeding... i think they should just aim to break even, and maybe make a small profit... but nothing too much.
If I was aiming to break even I'd probably have to charg more than the £800 I charge at the moment
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:30 PM
there are some rescues that are taking rehoming fees over and over again as a dog is returned etc even though they still havent neutered them, yet I dont see much fundraising going on for them...just makes you wonder is all, if they are actually making people think twice about taking a rescue because for the same price they can go and get a puppy and raise it......I'm not saying thats right, just makes you wonder.

If it is not KC registered then I would question any health test claims
. Not the dam and sire, the pups.

Iv known people who have never wanted to pay what it costs to buy an 8 week old pedigree pup but have always bought older pups for less than half the price, they then had those dogs for the dogs lifetime. So is the breeder just selling to one with more money than sense? Perhaps selling at a more reasonable price and it could have gone to a 'forever home' in the first place?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
People can have two dogs that have had various health testing in past or pups would be genetically clear of whatever but they have no interest in registering the litter - they are not for show or work but have pedigrees...

That may not be what people consider 'ethical' but pups may cost less and that would be tempting to people who want a pup in a reccession? for the sake of debate...

lol I'l bet
I suppose it is technically possible if the parents are health tested and registered but I would not trust a breeder who has had a litter under those terms.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Pups are sold what what people are prepared to pay. The local paper is full of `reduced` pups.
All the rescues I`ve dealt with have charged around £100 but I`ve also had `free` dogs that couldn`t be homed elsewhere. I always found it was the `free` ones that ended up costing the most.
I'll drink to that!! Georgie although "free" to good home (Although I did donate yes!!!) has cost me thousands over the years, with every vet trip around £200 when I first had him!!! I won't be adding it up, but he's cost far more than any puppy I've ever bought!

Good breeders tend to be out of pocket when producing a nice litter, whereas of course, the couldn't care less ones they always make don't they
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Are good breeders actually inadvertently causing people to go to idiot breeders by charging such high prices?
I think that the high prices of well bred puppies do partly contribute to people going for cheaper, less well bred dogs but I also think that the people who are willing to go to a less than scrupulous breeder to save money probably wouldn't care whether their pup was ethically bred or not, even if well bred dogs were cheaper. At the end of the day, not everything comes down to price - it is more about convenience and having it 'now', in my opinion.

I certainly don't think well bred pups should be brought down in price just to try and persuade people away from PFs or BYBs. Of course not everyone can afford a £1000 puppy straight off the bat but most people can afford to put away a little bit of money every month and save up. Ethical breeders already rarely break even so I think it is their prerogative to charge a little bit more, seeing as they are offering potential owners a little bit more, than a puppy farmer or BYB.

Even some rescues are now wanting about £200 as a rehoming fee but then the new owners are to pay a further £150 to get the dog spayed/neutered themselves...they need to cover fees, but how much is too much? Is it encouraging people to go out and buy a £250 puppy instead of taking on a rescue?
I don't think you can suggest that £200 is too much for a rescue dog. At the end of the day, rescues need to stay in business to keep helping dogs, they have to make money or break even to stay in business. When a dog comes in it will probably need to first stay for 2 weeks to make sure it isn't claimed by the owners. That means 2 weeks worth of food to pay for. The dog is usually given a vet check which will cost about £20/£30, not including any extra care. They also need their jabs - again, about £30 for the first set, another £30 for a 2nd set. Then on top of that, you need to consider the overheads, the bedding needed for the dog and food twice a day for the length of the dog's stay, however long that is.

Anyway, as with the price of well bred dogs, I don't think that someone will get a puppy instead of a rescue just because it costs the same. I think a bigger issue with rescues is the way in which perfectly good homes are turned down because they fail one minor criteria (they have children, they work, they don't have a back garden).
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Yep have to agree with you there.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Have to agree that I don't think rescue prices are extortionate, when you see some of these rescue's stories and they've been in rescue for nearly 2 years, had to be spayed, came in with health problems, been fully vaccinated and boostered in that time, fed well, had foster home opportunities, bedding ..... I think the price doesn't even begin to cover the cost of some dogs.

And I do agree that the 'free' dogs are the most expensive, Bear was 'free' but cost us over a grand in the 3 months he was here. I don't mind a bit, he was worth every penny of it, and I would do it all over again too.

Price is a factor in people's decisions, but I also think that the culture of 'have it now' plays a big part. More so than the price.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Re. breeders, they have to cover costs of breeding... i think they should just aim to break even, and maybe make a small profit... but nothing too much.
I do not think any breeder should aim to make a profit, thats when money becomes more important that anything else. I have no problem with a decent breeder making a profit but certainly not aiming for one, thats when corners are cut! With some litters breeders will make a loss, others they will make a profit - money does not come into responsible breeding.

Breeders set a price depending on lots of different factors, locations, what other breeders are charing for the same quality puppies.
The price can vary alot in our breed, puppy farmers and the like seem to be asking mega amounts like £1000 for hairless bitches you will never find a decent breeder (imo) asking that much. Then you get the hobby breeder that has bred a litter and will charge £500 for a hairless bitch.. Most decent breeders who health test, KC reg, breed for a reason ect - I know will be somewhere in the middle say £650/£750 for a hairless bitch.

Rescues prices will also be set by many different factors.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:14 PM
honestly, on the whole I would say 'no'. Lots of dogs are over priced, regardless to whether or not people are prepared to pay it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2010, 08:19 PM
The price of bulldogs dont make sense to me ,people say they are hard to breed . But if you look at the well known puppy selling website there are over 250 adverts for pups...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >