Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I had an argument with another dog owner this morning.

Apparently I am over controlling because

I don't let my dog run loose on the field regardless. Training is ok but not on the field where dogs should be allowed to do what they want. (This is a field surrounded by busy cycle tracks.)
I should not put my dog in a down to prevent her jumping all over another dog while sheltering from the rain. The other dog can take care of himself.
I should not put my dog on a lead to stop her jumping up and bouncing all over when walking past an owner who is unsteady on her feet with an elderly dog.

And in general dogs should never be prevented from playing with other dogs unless they are 'violent'.

This person has a dog who is not really interested in playing with other dogs.

He also told me a few weeks back that dogs should fear their owners!

But it set me thinking. Do people on dogsey think differently from other people about what their dogs are allowed to do?
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Maybe it is just a higher concentration of dog lovers with common sense in one place. On the whole most members of dogsey seem to be knowledgeable and responsible dog owners.

In the outside world you get the whole mix.:roll:
You also get them here , from time to time too, the world of forums is nto immune to that type of thinking.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I would think that the people on Dogsey are completely in accord with what you say and how you behave. I certainly am. I want my dogs to be accepted by people in my area. Not all people like dogs, but most will accept them if their owners take the time and trouble to ensure they are not a nuisance to anyone. As for the man saying dogs should fear their owners - what a load of twaddle. He just sounds like a loud mouthed ignorant yobbo who knows nothing and is in need of some training himself
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I think its more to the fact most of the irresponsible owners dont post on forums, or if their members dont actually post anything that doesnt go with what the other members are saying. They want to 'fit' in I spose, and will agree with anyone that is liked or seems to be speaking sense.
But if they were responsible they would just fit in LOL.

On walks most of the people I meet are just the sort of people that just have a dog, Know nothing really about dogs, or anything and of course their the ones that are always right.. I have met a few nice people though, and our dogs are always happy to play with other dogs, decent owner or not

Guess what im saying is a forum member may think twice about owning up to being irresponsible when everyone else sounds so responsible and others get jumped on for being irresponsible, so we dont see it as much on here.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
From Devildogz post
Guess what im saying is a forum member may think twice about owning up to being irresponsible when everyone else sounds so responsible and others get jumped on for being irresponsible, so we dont see it as much on here.

You probably have a point there - whose going to be the first to admit that they have done something irresponsible lately
I will admit to something I did today -
Took poo bags out and dutifully picked up poo after dog, but not finding a bin I undid the bag and chucked it into a hedge when I was down the fields and thought nobody was looking
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I've met afew outside and I have read things from afew on forums too.

Personally I don't take things to heart what people say, we're lucky in the fact that ours are not interested in other dogs anyway, we normally get others people dogs being a pest to us

We tend to live and let live, we do what we want when out with ours if we want to train we do, if we want ours not to jump up we say so, if other people want to express thier opinion, thats fine
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
From Devildogz post

You probably have a point there - whose going to be the first to admit that they have done something irresponsible lately
I will admit to something I did today -
Took poo bags out and dutifully picked up poo after dog, but not finding a bin I undid the bag and chucked it into a hedge when I was down the fields and thought nobody was looking
I will own up to a few weeks back when Tess's recall was at stupid mode , to walking all the way across a field swearing like a trooper and shouting ''if you don;'t come here NOW I will get rid of you'' and 4 or 5 dogs owners all standing staring................well I got her, but I could see they were relieved I didn;t put my foot up her a*se, but by god I felt like it
georgejr
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I will own up to a few weeks back when Tess's recall was at stupid mode , to walking all the way across a field swearing like a trooper and shouting ''if you don;'t come here NOW I will get rid of you'' and 4 or 5 dogs owners all standing staring................well I got her, but I could see they were relieved I didn;t put my foot up her a*se, but by god I felt like it
I confess - last week on a very hot and sticky walk (had to be an a lead - the rules!) my JRT was really playing up and i was being pulled pillar to post - and then not going anywhere as he refused to move . In the end i said in a stern voice " i have had just about enough of you today", when a lady came around the corner -with her beautifully behaved retriever - laughing her socks off. I blushed, apologised to the dog and we carried on. Big hugs and kisses when we got back - so alls well that ends well.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by georgejr View Post
I confess - last week on a very hot and sticky walk (had to be an a lead - the rules!) my JRT was really playing up and i was being pulled pillar to post - and then not going anywhere as he refused to move . In the end i said in a stern voice " i have had just about enough of you today", when a lady came around the corner -with her beautifully behaved retriever - laughing her socks off. I blushed, apologised to the dog and we carried on. Big hugs and kisses when we got back - so alls well that ends well.

My hubby didn't help just standing there with the other 3 and saying when I got back.....feel better now do we.......in a patronising way
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I think some are and some are not.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Thankfully most dog owners I meet are considerate and responsible but there are a few who just sit back and let their dogs do whatever they want. I hate when people do that.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2