Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Oh I agree totally with what you say jessica
"But then the puppy farmers are churning out dogs that haven't even had hip scores or eye test for about 5 generations and it makes you wonder why you bother spending hundreds of £££'s when people will buy those dogs, breed them, sell the pups that may well have HD and be blind in a few years, and just ruin all the hard work anyway

I personally think that the KC should not register puppies from parents that havent had breed average or below results in whatever health screening they recommend.. But thats just me!

*Rant over*

I have really strong views on dog breeding.I have only bought one dog from a breeder that was Meg my 18 month old goldie, I spent ages finding the right breeder, made sure all possible tests were done on the parents, and that the results were really good. So far she has been really well, but my brother went and bought a Lab from what i would describe as a Puppy farmer, she had several bitches who all had litters, and i know that two of those bitches were in pup the next season, and they are all KC reg as far as I am aware
All my other dogs have been rescues or private rehomes.
I have nothing against really good breeders who know their breed inside out, and do every test that they should, but people who churn puppies out like a factory are despicable.
Sorry off topic
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Welshies have a problem with Glaucoma, Hereditary Epilepsy and Hip Dysplacia. I'm just waiting to get my two youngsters tested for Glaucoma as there both bitches if they fail they'll be spayed and probably rehomed without papers but it will break my heart. Luckily theres someone willing to take one of them if this happens as they wanted a puppy from me last year.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Luxating Patellas
Legg Perthes Disease
Glaucoma
Hereditary cataracts
Dawn is right Its luck of the draw with JR's I think. My jack russell 's breeder had 3 generations of healthy dogs with no problems.Also the jr's that they were mated to had their history checked back 3 generations. So my chances of Minnie developing any of these conditions has reduced through selective breeding- but it could still happen.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 01:53 PM
i read that the american indian dogs dont have any health problems......
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Welshies have a problem with Glaucoma, Hereditary Epilepsy and Hip Dysplacia. I'm just waiting to get my two youngsters tested for Glaucoma as there both bitches if they fail they'll be spayed and probably rehomed without papers but it will break my heart. Luckily theres someone willing to take one of them if this happens as they wanted a puppy from me last year.
why would you not keep them, are they already your pets? just wonderin?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I know it's not really a breed and every individual one differs so it's impossible to say but, a good old mongrel seems less likely to inherit health problems associated with the breeds it may originate from.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
why would you not keep them, are they already your pets? just wonderin?
Spooky, I was wondering that too.Why would get rehome your dog if it showed signs of an inherited disease. Just curious too?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I know it's not really a breed and every individual one differs so it's impossible to say but, a good old mongrel seems less likely to inherit health problems associated with the breeds it may originate from.
The healthiest dog I have ever owned was my collie cross she died recently at the age of 14. I think far too many dogs are being over bred and this showing up in many of the breeds now.
Your gorgeous Skye is a beauty, a true one of a kind, I have never seen another dog that looks like him. What are his parents?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
The healthiest dog I have ever owned was my collie cross she died recently at the age of 14. I think far too many dogs are being over bred and this showing up in many of the breeds now.
Your gorgeous Skye is a beauty, a true one of a kind, I have never seen another dog that looks like him. What are his parents?
Thankyou

Skye likes to call himself a '1st cross' as both his parents were pedigree recognised breeds LOL

The Father was a Scottish Deerhound and the mother was an Old English Sheepdog.

I think he is a one off because the rest of the litter matured very differently to him. Other than their colour and markings, the rest are much more like the mother in shape where as Skye got some of the size and build of the dad.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thankyou

Skye likes to call himself a '1st cross' as both his parents were pedigree recognised breeds LOL

The Father was a Scottish Deerhound and the mother was an Old English Sheepdog.

I think he is a one off because the rest of the litter matured very differently to him other than their colour and markings. They were much more like the mother in shape where as Skye got some of the size and build of the dad.
Thanks for replying I can now see his parentage, he has his Dads build and his mothers markings.
He always looks good in your photos , he has a kind face I think.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >