View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I love the old horsey photos...it seemed much more fun back then!!!
It looks like the two of you had a lot of fun too!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Ah, so you're one of the 'Polo Set' great photos Becky, we lived in Bracknell once which is near Ascot and I'm sure I recognise that statue behind you in the one with Ian Smeeth. My brother & I did some riding as kids and he still has horses, shall I ask him if you can have a ride (He's in West Suffolk) thanks for showing us, bet they brought back a few memories
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Ah, so you're one of the 'Polo Set' great photos Becky, we lived in Bracknell once which is near Ascot and I'm sure I recognise that statue behind you in the one with Ian Smeeth. My brother & I did some riding as kids and he still has horses, shall I ask him if you can have a ride (He's in West Suffolk) thanks for showing us, bet they brought back a few memories
Oh yes lol, the stud was owned at the time by the Horsewell family and both brothers played. Their sister Gig was in charge of us kids with our ponies.
Prince Charles ponies were kept there and I did see some pretty brutal training of young polo ponies. They had one Argentinian trainer, who was quickly dispatched home when the Falklands broke out as it wouldn't have gone down well in the tabloids if they knew Charlie had an Argentinian in charge!

I haven't been on a horse since Charlie was about 3 but I just miss being round them soooo much, just to spend the day with some would be fantastic and if I did ride it would have to be a big horse!
Gypsum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Lovely wee mare. Looks like she was a great jumper.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this, Becky, and looking at the pictures. You can see the love is mutual! Lovely memories to cherish forever.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:57 PM
so lovely, i sadly know exactly how you feel, so youve made me cry abit now she looked fab!
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Gorgeous photos! I'm a keen horse rider myself and will (hopefully!) one day make the leap and become a horse owner
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh what memories you've brought back for me too Becky reading all that. I too used to do the sponsored rides, mostly 10 and 15 miles, but sometimes we used to do 25 anyways coz we were in canter mode and missed most of the markers so had to backtrack! I'm sure you know what I mean there!!!

Loving your horse April, nice size too. I had an Arab/Welsh gelding, but he used to get too excited when I went to a cross country or a sponsored ride and he'd turn into a bucking bronco (sp?) and spin round on the spot, and then jog all the way home (thank God I had no boobs in those days! Lol!). You brought back some lovely memories for me there Becky, and the pictures are lovely too.

I miss the riding too, I used to go out nearly every day for 3 hours, just plodding about if it was hot, or galloping everywhere (my version of collected canters! Lol!) if it was nice and muddy and soft. Don'tcha wish you could have all those days/years back again, even just one of them would be nice wouldn't it. I've been offered rides from friends of mine many a time, but when you've had your own horse, the same one for 20 years, it just isn't the same riding somebody else's is it, everything's all different, some try to kill you, some wear you out with all their pulling, and some are far too boring for me, I like a bit of spark in my rides. So will you be riding again soon then? I also remember my washboard stomach from all that cantering, which has long gone now, and my toned up arms, also long gone Thanks Becky, fab, just fab!xxxxxx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2