View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm lucky that when I lost my oldest Cavalier we still had Roodee(also a Cavalier)they are such a lovely breed & very much a people dog. All our previous Cavaliers have been Blenheims & Roodee is a Ruby & now I much prefer the Rubies probably because he is so very naughty(must put the tale of Roodee & his solo visit to the Golf-club bar !! sometime)

I would never be without at least one Cavalier
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 06:55 AM
We had our 2 new dogs just a week after Xena died.. I would have had pups before but Xena was the dominant bitch and did not want to risk any problems.. The decision was made as we lost 3 of our babes within 13 months of each other and only had our malamut/mastin left who was very docile anyway.. we also went for the same breed again because they are so fantastic.. Was afraid that I was going to compare them but you don't.... I can see similarities though which is quite lovely as well. Everyone is different but I needed more dogs around me and because of where we live, we have got the space for them as well. they are nearly 1 year old now (10th of August) and we had them with 5 and a half weeks old.. never looked back and my old girl is fantastic with them... You'll know if and when you are ready... xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Only you can decide when is the right time. When I lost my last little dog after 15 years I was heartbroken and the house felt soulless. It was just so quiet, in spite of the fact that my last little dog didn't really make much noise. However, I had promised my OH that when she went we would have six months off to travel - which we did. That gave me time to research my next dog etc etc.
We arrived back from our travels and the following day I went to see the 4 week old pups from my long awaited chosen litter and 4 weeks after that I was the proud Mum to 2 new dogs
A really good friend of mine lost her schnauzer and
three days later she had a new schnauzer puppy. Her new puppy was just so different from her last in temperament etc that she never felt that she was replacing her old dog, just giving a home/love to a new one.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I just do not know. I know that life without a dog companion would be sheer hell for me, but I also know that if Pereg predeceases me there is no way I would be able to look after another dog.

If I was younger and fitter then I would already have adopted another rescue puppy after my Little One died - but I was not and then Pereg was struck by the Monster so all thoughts of another dog flew out of the window.

To be honest, as I said, I just do not know. But the thought of waking up to an empty home with no four legs doing jumpy jumpy on me is something I do not want to think about.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I was devastated when I lost my lovely Shar-Pei girl in March this year. (I'd also just broken my leg which didn't help). Even though my girl was very special to me I knew if I had another dog it had to be a Shar-Pei.

My Peiby girl is due to be born any day now and I just can't wait! I don't expect her to be like my late dog. I'm happy for her to be herself, although I did chose a different colour just in case I'm tempted to make comparisions.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 08:15 AM
As others have said, it varies hugely. Do what is right for you (and don't be put off by those people who say 'oh, that's a bit sudden isn't it?)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 08:17 AM
It is up to you hun, there is no right or wrong answer. You're not replacing him as there will never be another like him.

I think you have to allow yourself time to grieve first though. Go along to a rescue and see how you feel. Let your heart choose rather than your head.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 08:32 AM
That's for all the thoughts guys. A lot to mull over. I got him was i was 6, and I'm now 20, so that's a long time! This has given me a lot to think about, and Aimee I actually think the idea of heading along to a rescue is a great idea! Might help me make my mind up a bit more.
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I feel so much for you. As you may remember we lost our little Cav pup, Cassey a while ago. It took a lot of soul searching for us to answer the questions spinning around our heads.......should we get another pup, should we get another Cav, should we get another Tri?

All I can do is relate our experience. We talked long and hard and we eventually realised that we would at some point get another Cav, of course we worried we were being disloyal the her memory. However as the search for a good breeder etc got under-way, we realised that we weren't. After all we weren't replacing her, we were just filling a Cav shaped hole that had been left in out lives.

We bought a plant to act as a permanent memorial to little Cassey and said our emotional fair-wells, we think of her everyday and she is still very much in our thoughts.

We now have had Lucy our new little pup for 16 days, and of course she is similar, she is after all another Tri Cav, however she is so totally individual and is just making us constantly smile.

My advice would be to start just looking around with no intention of rescuing of getting a puppy and see what happens - pretty sure I can guess the out come!

Just post lots of pics of your new arrival

Also no one should ever be without a Cav, our two send you huge Cavie hugs, well Lucy will when she's finished destroying my gardening shoes!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2012, 10:40 AM
It's never too soon and it's never too late.

It's when the time is right for you.

The biggest compliment you can pay Sweep is another dog.

Thalice's Mum

I lost Thalice several years ago and I have 2 of her daughters, a grand daughter and a grandson - I still miss her.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >