View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2015, 12:49 AM
I would almost say see if you can go on leave at work for a week or two. I would also call a vet, perhaps there's a medication that might be helpful even just short term until he gets used to you and being in a home. I would get rid of the crate. Unless he goes in it on his own I don't think crates are a good idea...at least not with the behavior you're describing. My Sophie has major separation issues with me. If I tried to crate her or put her behind a closed door when I'm in the house she'll try to tear down the door. Even if I just step in the bathroom she stands outside the door and whines, if she's not in there ahead of me. It just takes time and patience, it took Sophie a year before she didn't go nutso when I left the house. Something useful are door strips and metal kick plates. They protect the doors and frames from being scratched so bad. You say he's a great dog. So it's definitely worth the effort. It's like having a troubled human kid. Lots of patience, keep your sense of humor and pat yourself on the back when you make progress, and don't take it personally when they regress sometimes.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Take him straight back, you arent the home for him like you say he needs more time and attention than you can give.

Out of interest (seeing as the dog park was an epic fail) how much exercise is he having?
hairybabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Chris-D View Post
I am in need of some urgent advice. Last Wednesday I adopted a heartworm positive 2 yr old mixed breed dog from the shelter. I believe he has severe separation and confinement anxiety and don't know what to do.

Long story short, I spent about 5 days attempting to get him used to his crate. He would get in there to retrieve treats and he wouldn't even mind the door being latched as long as he had his stuffed kong. However as soon as he was done with the kong, he would dig, bite and shake the crate, try to use his weight to open the latch, etc... On about day 4 I left for about 10 minutes to find out he had escaped. I put him back in there and figured out that by all his biting and shaking of the crate he got one latch undone. Then he pushed and squeezed out of a very small opening.

I figured it will take more time for him to get used to the crate so yesterday I confined him in my bedroom when I left the house for about 30 minutes. I came back and I believed he did fine. However, last night when it was time for bed (he was sleeping in my room for the past 4 nights just fine), he started flipping out and scratching at the bedroom door even though I was in the bedroom with him.

Then this morning I had no choice but to put him in my room. I came home from lunch and the carpet and carpet padding by the door is shred to pieces. So I tried to put him in the crate with the treat. He fights me and does not go in. I tried to take him to a dog park in my complex the other day, even there he would dig and bite at the chain linked fence and try to escape.

So I hate to say it but I believe I am out of options but to return him to the shelter. He is absolutely unwilling to be kept in a crate and shut in the bedroom (even when I am there). I do not have a yard (and the way he acted at the dog park not sure even that would help). He only seems content with a free roam around the house when there are other people there. There is no way I can spend 18 hours a day with him. I've thought about forcing him in the crate and reinforcing it with D Links and carbeeners. However, he still bites and digs out it consistently (I'm surprised he hasnt broke a tooth or has injured his paw). I've read that I can put a muzzle on him in the crate but what kind of way of that is for him to live.

Other then that he is a great dog. Does anyone have any advice for me before I have to take that awful drive back to the shelter. So far he seems house broken and great with people. If i do take him back to the shelter I just hope he gets adopted by a new family then can give him the attention that he deserves.
Get a doggy playpen. When you want to confine him, assemble it and put him in to keep him out of trouble. When you want to let him out, simply take it to bits and you have your room back again. They typically come in 80cm sections. Most people find 6 to 8 panels are ample. You can also assemble it outside when you want.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Yes, a sedative might also be a temporary solution while he gets used to his new home. Taking him back with all these issues (which clearly she wasn't aware of prior) might spell his doom. The shelter was likely unaware of this, but they won't be when he returns, and here... he'd stand very little chance of another home. I wouldn't take him back until absolutely all options were exhausted.
hairybabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
You need a professional behavourist for that one. One who can see the body language including the subtleties and work out what makes him so aggitated. There is no other way you can sort him out youself.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking the same as mjfromga that dogs like these are hard to rehome.

Medification can work in conjunction with a behaviour programme.
My own dog Pip had SA and he used to bark as soon as I went out the door so I understand what a nightmare it can be.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Aside from a professional behaviourist like Hairybabe suggested,this boy also needs time and patience.He has been in your home for less than a week.He came to you with issue's and he hasn't been there long enough to even begin to gain your trust.Everything is new to him,sights smells,place,people etc.Imagine he's all over the place right now.I'd be focusing on trying to make him feel safe first off and not adding pressure on him to do things that obviously scare the living day lights out of him.
In my mind it's the same as taking a person with claustrophobia,asking them to get inside a box and then sealing up the lid.
Introducing the crate and working on closing the bedroom door if need be,should come later.He needs time to settle in,get to know you and feel safe.Heaven only knows what has happened to this poor dog in the past to make him the way he is
You said in other ways he is a great dog,he's in there somewhere,just needs the right person to bring him out,to take the time,have the patience and to get outside help if need be.The question is,are you that person? Only you can decide that,you have to do what's right for him.
hairybabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2015, 11:59 AM
....and in the mean time, don't reprimand his other than a brusk No! or egh! because he probably doesn't know he is being bad, and frightening him further will make things worse.
Chris-D
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2015, 01:26 PM
I don't believe it's an under exercise issue. He's not running around the house crazy with energy. He surprisingly does a lot of lying around sleeping. He usually lays am my feet, puts his head in between my legs, or in my lap.

I feel like a complete failure but I have decided the best thing for him is for me to return him to the shelter. I believe he can overcome this but he needs someone to spend the majority of their day (12+ Hours) slowly building up his confidence in confinement. Unfortunately I am unable to provide this for him.

Yesterday day the shelter wanted me to pick up a thundersirt. However I couldn't even go pick one up because he doesn't get near is cage, I can't leave hi confined in the bedroom, and he is terrified of car rides. He starts shaking really badly in car rides. I realized I was trapped in my house and there was nothing I can do.

Up to yesterday I was feeding hi in the crate. He would go in there but never eat all his food. He would be lucky if he eat half of it. I thought it was odd that a lab wasn't eating all his food. Yesterday I fed him away from his crate and h e destroyed his food in a couple minutes. Reinsures me that he really never felt comfortable in the crate.

I really pray that the shelter works to find a good home for this dog. I've had a great week with him and it breaks my heart that am going have to leave him but I hope it will be best for him.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry you were put in this position in the first place.
You have to do what you feel is best. I feel heartened that the shelter recommended a thunder shirt , I think it shows an awareness of the problem and that they care about him .
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >