View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 05:01 PM
We don`t get snow in Southend! But thanks for the tip. Although Daisy`s slightly offended by the imputation that she has hairy feet.
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2008, 07:15 PM
There have been two good examples on "The Dog Whisperer" recently. From what I remember it is all down to de-sensitising the dog. Walking the dog on the lead over the surface until they get more confident. Hope you can watch the programmes as was very informative and successful. Good Luck!
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 03:23 PM
thanks,

tried the paw wax, didnt get a chance to see if it worked though. as soon as he sees the floor he will refuse to go on it! We tried to take him to pets at home recently and he wouldnt go anywhere near the floor
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 04:58 PM
The paw wax appears to work. The geriatrics are more stable on the laminate. Hurray!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
There have been two good examples on "The Dog Whisperer" recently. From what I remember it is all down to de-sensitising the dog. Walking the dog on the lead over the surface until they get more confident. Hope you can watch the programmes as was very informative and successful. Good Luck!
The DW doesn't desensisitise dogs unfortunately...My advice is to ignore the DW on this, as he forces dogs. He doesn't seem to have them vet checked and going on past history would even have arthriticy dogs forced to walk on such a floor...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gadge View Post
thanks,

tried the paw wax, didnt get a chance to see if it worked though. as soon as he sees the floor he will refuse to go on it! We tried to take him to pets at home recently and he wouldnt go anywhere near the floor
He is generalising it, poor fellow.

I can't remember the set up at home, sorry, but try putting a few treats just on the edge of the floor so he has to put maybe one foot on it. Do that for a day or two and then move the treats a tad further out...(use paw wax).

Continue very very slowly and go at the dog's pace.

To be honest though, it sounds as if the dog could do it again anyway (so he's being sensible by not going on there again) and I'd put rugs down. Slippery floors can be lethal (not literally but you know what i mean!).

I put rugs down for my older dog who was slipping because of her hips.

If you have a problem with the food tip above, try getting in a good trainer or behaviourist, try www.apdt.co.uk or www.apbc.org.uk ....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
The DW doesn't desensisitise dogs unfortunately...My advice is to ignore the DW on this, as he forces dogs. He doesn't seem to have them vet checked and going on past history would even have arthriticy dogs forced to walk on such a floor...
Well said!

CM has not given excellent examples of how to desensitise dogs he has given very good examples of how to completely ignore what your dog is trying to tell you and how to bully them into doing what you want it to do. He uses floding techniques, bullying, jabs etc, the dogs that comply with him are usually shutting down rather than complying happily. Once a dog shuts down they can't learn. There are far better and kinder ways to do it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2