View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 05:42 PM
You and your partner need to have a sit down and a serious talk about this pup.

Your partner was very irrasponsible to go behind your back and bring home a dog. Even more so for dumping this pup on you I can only imagine how stressed out and upset you must feel over this I know I would be.

You need to tell your partner that if he intends to keep this dog he needs to do more then just cuddle this pup he bought the dog home and is being a real *ss for not pitching in at all with the hard stuff you need to tell him he needs to split the responsibility of toilet training, training and take the pup tp puppy classes or the pup goes back to the breeder because their would be no way he could look after the pup if he didnt live with you. If he lived on his own that poor pup would be completely on its own all day!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Same thing happened to a friend of mine, he went out and bought a Bichon pup and he's at work full time, shes the one who's been having to get up etc in the night, she has two kids and a job - i think its bad, he's the one who wanted it yet he has nothing to do with it ! not the pups fault but i think its very selfish of her OH
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
You and your partner need to have a sit down and a serious talk about this pup.

Your partner was very irrasponsible to go behind your back and bring home a dog. Even more so for dumping this pup on you I can only imagine how stressed out and upset you must feel over this I know I would be.

You need to tell your partner that if he intends to keep this dog he needs to do more then just cuddle this pup he bought the dog home and is being a real *ss for not pitching in at all with the hard stuff you need to tell him he needs to split the responsibility of toilet training, training and take the pup tp puppy classes or the pup goes back to the breeder because their would be no way he could look after the pup if he didnt live with you. If he lived on his own that poor pup would be completely on its own all day!
I agree with this. Can't think of anything else to add!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by mrsm142a View Post
Having a moan, new puppy is healthy and pretty etc but I did not want to get him, my OH did. We missed the old dog who was put to sleep in November, I told OH that was the end of the dogs but he said " I can't live if I haven't got a dog" so puppy arrived last week. OH is out of the house Mon-Fri 6.00am-6.00pm, Sat 6.0am-12noon so I have been lumbered with this puppy. He comes in from work and plays with the puppy, doesn't feed him or tidy up his little puddles, cuddles the puppy and sleeps downstairs on the sofa in the lounge with the dog bed next to him. He gets me up at 6.00am to look after the pup. I am house training the pup and doing everything for him. I am totally
p***** off with the whole thing. I have started to train puppy with a 'clicker' and he has been quite a good boy but I need some encouragement to keep going.
One very important question, do you want to keep the puppy now you have him????

It will only work out if you want it to. If not, return the pup to the breeder, but if you do, you will get plenty of the encouragement you need and want. Just fire any questions you have and you'll find there are plenty that are only too pleased to help.

OH's can be a pain in the backside at times .
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Firstly, it was really unfair of your OH to put you in this position. Whether he brought the dog home without your prior consent or he guilt tripped you until you agreed, he has been incredibly selfish in getting this puppy when he knew full well that you would be doing the majority of the work.

The above being said, you need to realise that whatever has happened in the past, you are in this situation now and need to decide what is best for you and the pup as soon as possible. Can you honestly commit to and see yourself caring for this pup for (potentially) the next 15 years? If you can, you need to sit down with your OH immediately and have a serious talk. He needs to know that he cannot buy a dog and then not do any of the work needed to raise him, you need to let him know that he has to spend his spare time taking care of his dog and not just doing the fun stuff like cuddling him.

If you decide you cannot keep this pup or your OH is not willing to do more work, you need to make sure that you call the breeder or rescue centre and return him ASAP. The longer you keep him, the harder it is going to be for him to be rehomed/resold.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Keep the puppy - get rid of OH.........!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Keep the puppy - get rid of OH.........!
Worked for me Kismet and I are much happier together than me and my ex ever were... In fact, I sometimes barely notice the difference; she's sometimes embarrassing in public, shouts at people for no reason, farts and snores in bed, winges if I'm late with her dinner, makes a mess everywhere then lounges on the sofa watching me as I clean it up with casual indolence! Hang on!

Can you divorce a dog?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:16 PM
When we got Izzy it was only 2 weeks after Cherry had been put to sleep and Jamie really did not like her at first. He did not bond with her because he was so upset about Cherry being ill and losing her.

3 months later he changed towards her and he is definitely her favourite person!

However, I was the one who was the main carer for the dogs so in that sense it didn't really matter how Jamie felt about her as long as he was happy for me to have her which he was.

I htink your OH has been selfish by getting this pup without your agreement and expecting you to do all the looking after it when you really aren't on board with the decision to have it in the first place.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 08:50 PM
My OH got a puppy - even though I didn't think it was the right time. In fact we argued, but he brought him home anyway.

I have to say the last 2 years of watching him grow and all the trouble has been worth it and now I fight with the OH over who's dog he is (he was a gift for me though - long story behind that one though)

Things aren't as bad as you think, you just have to accept whats been done has been done and then wait for your OH to complain you spend more time with the dog than you do him

Of course I understand it is totally irresponsible of your OH, and you must speak with him about it, I had 3 weeks to talk it over with my OH but no matter how much I didn't want him then, I couldn't imagine not having him in my life now.

Any chance of some pictures though?
mrsm142a
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:51 AM
OH adamant that puppy will not be taken back to the breeder and that I just need to persevere until pup can go out and have a good run after his injections, all he needs is to 'have the legs run off him'. I am exhausted, I have put dog in his crate and come out for a coffee. OH is away with his job for two days so he expects me to sleep on the sofa to keep the dog company while he is away.
The dog becomes very agitated when he can't see me, yelping, barking and wee-ing indoors, I have put up a stairgate at the bottom of the stairs so I can keep puppy away from the cat who sleeps on the bed but when I went upstairs to bring down the laundry he went hysterical and I thought he would injure himself so I came back downstairs.The only time I feel safe is when he is locked in his crate. OH has shown no interest in crate training, clicker training, house training, it's getting too much and is 'me or the dog' now.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »