View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2014, 04:48 PM
MissEris, I agree with Tang— it’s very important that you keep your son safe. Of course you feel sorry for the dog. Anyone would. I don’t know the dog, but from what you are describing, it sounds uncomfortable at the least to me, and possibly dangerous.

Circling, barking at nothing, random lunging: these are all classic anxiety behaviours, but anxiety can have any number of causes, from plain boredom to pain to disease to whatever. How often, and for how long, is she getting walked? Does she have toys or any way to let off steam? A 3 year old GSD needs lots of exercise and mental stimulation, and not getting it could easily cause her to go stir-crazy just like any normal animal. German Shepherds are also prone to a number of illnesses (pretty much all of the ones that normally affect dogs) so a vet visit is well in order, if it might be pain that is causing her distress. She should have her eyes checked (detached retina is a thing; it is extremely painful) and her hips looked over; she should have bloods done, testing for thyroid and glucose abnormalities, teeth checked, and a general checkup.

Whatever is the matter, this situation could easily escalate. You don’t want a snap turning into a bite, especially not with your little son. I bet your roommate feels the same.

Maybe you could show this thread to your roommate? Your concerns are perfectly valid and I’m sure everyone here wants a good solution.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2014, 04:52 PM
EXCELLENT post and summing up by Strangechilde there.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
If the poor dog has got a screw loose somewhere, then it's no fault of his own
Completely agree, chasing his tail is just a way to get some interest into his life. Humans need to understand that dogs (especially a breed like a GSD) need exercise, both physical and mental, they need a job or task they can get their teeth into (Pun intended)

Owning a dog is not like owning a car, it doesn't just sit there until you put the key in the ignition, the humans associated with dogs need to think about keeping the dog in a good mental state, just like a toddler.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sounds to me like this dog is bored out of his skull. Does she take him on long walks and do any training with him?

It doesn't sound good having a situation like this with your little boy in the scenario, let alone yourself, he sounds very unpredictable, and in my honest opinion, this dog is in the wrong hands, he's not getting the stimulation he needs.

If the poor dog has got a screw loose somewhere, then it's no fault of his own, and in the right hands, this dog could possibly be brought back to normality, but I don't think that's going to happen in your household from what I've read in your post, unless somebody takes the time to give him some much deserved one to one time.
Today she got a 15 minute walk, and has spent the rest of the day with her owner gone, or shut off in a separate room.
I AM nervous about having my baby interact with her. When she's left here or unattended I'll likely have to put her in the backyard until they have time for her. She seems to get more stimulation out there chasing squirrels and barking at the neighbors dog anyhow.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Perhaps a visit to the vet is in order. Always a good idea when a dog is behaving oddly to rule out any health issues.
If the dog is growling at what seems to be nothing, I'd really think Helena is likely correct. The dog is extremely bored and trying to find something to do.

From the sound of your post, just think if you were an active dog that wanted to go play and run etc. but were trapped in the house most of the time. You'd go crazy with boredom. Especially since her owner is not there and it's only you... who probably avoids the dog more than you do give it attention. Which I understand since the dog is tough to deal with and it isn't your dog.

You're left home with the dog a lot... and you have not mentioned taking it on walks etc. You have a young child to care for as well as a cat. It's NOT your job to care for this dog.

If it's not your dog then you should not be the one to have to deal with the dog or it's behavior. Your roommate needs to have a sit down and listen to reason. I really think that is what is needed here. Gather your confidence and pull her/him to the side and explain...

"You have a GSD and it needs exercise and attention. It's growling all over the place and has even growled at my son and my cat. It constantly walks in circles and it has no quality of life. It's time to re-think what you're doing here. The dog is not happy, and neither are we."

I'd say something like that to the room mate because it doesn't seem like she/he is being responsible at all. 3 year old German Shepherds are not a breed that you can trap in the house all day long. Really, you can't. Also, a dog behaviorist might be of assistance if the dog needs rehab from previous life issues.
I tried taking her on a walk, and never again. She's a strong animal, and pulls WAY to hard for me. Not to mention that I have a baby (the main reason I'm so out of shape right now).

I just tried to talk to him about this, and was told that she just needs to be forced to stop circling when she does it. He doesn't seem to understand how constant this is, or that it's worsening, since he isn't here to see it. I also think this is his first dog.

I'm also getting the impression that a vet can't (or won't?) be paid for.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Keep the dog well away from your child. That's my only advice. Before a rush and a snap turns into something far more serious. Don't assume you can be quick and strong enough to prevent a nasty incident. Even if you are in the same room with them.
THANK YOU! I've started to think this same thing, and wasn't sure if I was being too paranoid.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Bottom line for me is this. It is NOT the OP's dog! OP shouldn't have to be dealing with this. The owner of the dog should take responsibility.

I'd be far more worried about my own child and cat - even if I did 'feel sorry' for the dog. If it were left home with me I'd shut it outside until the issues were addressed properly.

Sounds a bit like someone who got a dog but doesn't really have the time for it and isn't home often enough to train it or teach it anything or even observe it much.
Yes, it looks like anytime the dog is left here with me freaking out, I'll have to put her in the backyard. She seems happier out there anyhow barking at the dog next door nonstop and chasing squirrels.
It's all I can do. I have a baby to care for, and no dog experience.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Hi MissEris, your latest post explains it all for me, this poor girl is totally bored out of her skull. Perhaps you could suggest to him, that when he gets home at night he ought to take her out for a proper walk where she can get a good run about, if only with a ball in the park. Afterall, he committed himself when he got this dog, and he should have been advised that she needs at least an hour's good exercise every, single day to keep her stable, not just a trip down the road to do her business.

This is not a breed you can do this with, nor can you just shut them in a room, they'll go stir crazy, so no wonder she is exhibiting such behaviour.

Do you know where he got this dog from at all? If it was a rescue centre, you could ring them up and explain what's going on, they will either be horrified, or send somebody around to give him a good talking to and explain why this is the wrong dog in the wrong hands, or get him to understand what she needs.

I know your main concern is your son, but I think you are doing an admirable job in even trying to sort this out, and asking for advice on here or anywhere else you might have put it up.

Temporarily, your idea of putting her outside is a good one, but sadly, this is how a lot of them end up, shut out and forgotten for hours on end Is there any chance that whilst you little one is asleep you could spend 5 mins out there with her throwing a toy for her? That mental stimulation, even just for 5 or 10 mins a day will bond her a bit more to yourself, and also help to alleviate her boredom.

I suspect you'd really like the dog gone wouldn't you? So would I! I'd like her to go back to the rescue centre where they can find the proper home for her as this is clearly not it.

I wonder if you could get a friend round who knows all about dogs, whilst the owner is there, and he/she could subtly get into the conversation with him about what a dangerous situation this could end up, because it is imo.

He should have got an oldie, who would have been quite happy to mooch about the place whilst he was out, or spend some time chilling out the back, but this 3 year old shepherd is certainly not going to do that happily and she's already showing signs of retaliation.

Good luck and please keep us informed. Well done for taking the time to get something sorted if only for yourselves.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Excellent post Helena. I think 'he' shouldn't have got a dog at all! Oldie or younger.

And as OP says she has no experience with dogs. An erratic GSD is not the best dog to start with!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by MissEris View Post
Today she got a 15 minute walk, and has spent the rest of the day with her owner gone, or shut off in a separate room.
I AM nervous about having my baby interact with her. When she's left here or unattended I'll likely have to put her in the backyard until they have time for her. She seems to get more stimulation out there chasing squirrels and barking at the neighbors dog anyhow.
Nowhere NEAR enough physical OR mental stimulation to an intelligent, high energy dog like a GSD. Poor darling, she is going stir crazy ... this is the nub of the matter. IMO the dog should be rehomed immediately to someone who knows how to look after and exercise a dog like a GSD. Please NEVER leave your child alone with her, and even when you are present in the room I would always make sure that I am between myself and the child. A dog like this is potentially a very dangerous animal indeed ... through no fault of the dog's either. She deserves far better, and so do you and your family - not to mention the poor cat!

Please try and persuade your room mate to do the right thing - for everyone's sakes, including the dog herself. Best of luck
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >