View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I've heard potatoes can be bad too, and white bread products.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 01:34 PM
blimey all our pets have been fine with everything......china loves onion granted she only get about a teaspoon full when i cook with it and she adores oranges!!!! raw potatoe she had once but threw it up coz she couldnt digest it.....

Chocolate if we have some she will only get about 1/4 of a square so i doubt that would harm her....

we were really luck with goldie as she ate a couple of boxes of chocolates at xmas time (they were hiden on top of the wardrobe ) and she was fine.....wouldnt like to chance it again!
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Well I'm just reading a book at the moment that says all commercial pet food is bad for our dogs - it's called Food Pets Die For by Ann N. Martin - a very shocking read - this lady started investigating what goes into all commercial pet food when her Newfoundland and St Bernard became ill and died after eating commercial pet food over 10 yrs ago - still reading the book at the minute, its quite an eye opener
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
I was told tomatoes and raw potatoes as they are part of the nightshade family.

I have always read it is only the green part (plant) of the tomato (not the fruit), and only green parts of potatoes
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2006, 03:09 PM
As I see it there are a number of foods that have been found to affect some dogs adversely but may not affect all dogs, so it is wise to be cautious and steer clear of these foods, also a few dogs may have extreme allergic reactions to some foods and may even go into anaphylactic shock as do some humans.

I would avoid giving dogs chocolate and grapes /raisins (the reasons there is a problem with the latter is not fully understood) although I have known dogs who ate a large amount of both and were fine, this was years ago long before it was known they were 'dangerous'.

We also know when they become adults 78% of puppies will lose the enzyme that helps them to break down lactose so dairy products may upset their tummies and caution is needed when giving dairy products particularly with dogs who are already ill.

I think with other foods it is a question of moderation and not feeding large amounts if questionable foods , many people give tomatoes/ onions (in the form of garlic) without any ill effects and more than a few apples pips would be needed to cause poisioning .

Green potatoes/ tomato plants should not be given and are poisionious to humans too..
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Someone mentioned Rosemary to me, not sure if its true or not.
I've read this too - it has been implicated in seizures in dogs which are prone to them. It's used as a preservative in some of the foods that don't use chemicals such as BHT, such as Burns, unfortunately.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
I've read this too - it has been implicated in seizures in dogs which are prone to them. It's used as a preservative in some of the foods that don't use chemicals such as BHT, such as Burns, unfortunately.
LS ...I wonder if this is a new finding ? Rosemary has been used in herbal preparations for dogs going back into the mists of time (See Dorwest Herbs 'Keeper Mix' amongst other things )
Also an 'infusion of rosemary' was used on the dogs coats both as a flea treatment and to make it shine.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Might be Mini, I have only found a few references to it and I don't know how real the risk is and I don't think there is any scientific 'proof' - I know what you mean, it is used quite a lot - I've seen the flea treatments . I did ask Burns about it and they said they'd been asked a few times now but that they have no plans to change it because they don't want to use stuff like BHT. Loki was on Burns for over a year but I'm taking the precaution of not using it any more just in case - shame because he loved his Kelties and now I have to cook biscuits. Nature Diet doesn't have any rosemary in so I'm definitely safe with that.

Here are a couple of refs:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...reTriggers.htm
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Poison.html
http://www.aromamedical.com/articles/eosafety.html

My old dog used to eat grapes, raisins and chocolate and it was a surprise to me when I read dogs aren't supposed to. I feel dead mean munching on my grapes with Loki dribbling away in front of me
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star

Hi L/S the first link says about rosemary oil, thats different to the natural fresh/dried rosemary. Theres nothing in the second link about it & the 3rd link is about essential oils & the myth about rosemary essential oil/aromatherapy causing fits is debunked at the bottom of the page.
Its not the same as how its used as a preservative in dog foods
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by DippyLeo
Well I'm just reading a book at the moment that says all commercial pet food is bad for our dogs - it's called Food Pets Die For by Ann N. Martin - a very shocking read - this lady started investigating what goes into all commercial pet food when her Newfoundland and St Bernard became ill and died after eating commercial pet food over 10 yrs ago - still reading the book at the minute, its quite an eye opener

I'm not surprised, I have never given my dogs dog food, I've always cooked proper food for them, chicken, lamb, etc, Mick is partial to cod, although Benji doesn't like fish.

I've always told my vet what they have and he's fine with it.

I'm afraid, if it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for my dogs.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >