View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I never "taught" any of my dogs recall, I just waited until they were completely obedient, then gradually allowed them offlead with more and more freedom. Before the Chis, every other dog I've owned has had great recall without the use of treats or "training" as such.

As for the Chis, it became apparent that I couldn't let them offlead for their own safety, so they've been on-lead until the other night. With all the talk on here of recall lately and somebody telling me that I had no idea because I said I thought the Chis would be okay off-lead because they were obedient in every other way, I thought I'd give it a go. We had three dogs with us, two had perfect recall. Stopped the moment I called them and headed back to me. The other (who is quite young and a bit ditsy) stopped immediately I called her but ambled about where she was sniffing the grass where she was standing, rather than running back to me. Not perfect at all but at least she stopped and I think once she's a bit older and more focused, she would be fine too.

I definitely wouldn't allow any of mine off-lead if they weren't obedient to every other instruction I gave them, in case they just kept running and came into some danger (aggressive dogs or cars, etc).
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by lakeland_lass View Post
Will i ever know if it's the right time?
No!

Met several people with terriers who say never there instincts are to go off and others who say you'll never know unless you try!
I own two terriers: a SBT and a PRT. Both are allowed off lead and neither of them have an instict to 'go off'. I would have thought after 3 months and passing the Bronze (well done to you and pooch!) he should be fine to let off.

Do you have an enclosed area where you can take him to give it a try?
viktory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
This is an interesting thread. Ruby is now 6 months old, has been going to regular classes and has pretty good recall (thanks to mature cheddar cheese!). However, as she is part Basset, she is real hound and loves to follow her nose. Sometimes she won't come back and I have to admit I get really nervous. Stupid really as she is in a great big field well away from any roads.

Think I may have to get brave!
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I own two terriers: a SBT and a PRT. Both are allowed off lead and neither of them have an instict to 'go off'. I would have thought after 3 months and passing the Bronze (well done to you and pooch!) he should be fine to let off.

Do you have an enclosed area where you can take him to give it a try?
Your right, nerves are getting the better of me! and i should have a little more trust in Barney he is a bronze medal holder after all, Hehe.

We use a few farmers fields to walk in which are for crops. There not fully enclosed but far enough away from busy roads and houses etc to be safe.

What happens to your terriers if a small furrie turn up while off lead? do you let them give chase? I think barney might be to excited by the furrie and select not to hear me which scares me a little.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree with several of the replies you have had.

for instance a safer place to give it a go, obviously you wouldn't pick anywhere where you knew there were rabbits etc.,

As for 100% recall, there is no such thing IMO, my dogs are more often than not leadless, but I can say I have had times where I have recalled and had to get ''firm voiced'' to get attention, so repeated myself two or three times.

I'm lucky having the three as they tend to stick together, but you will experience times when they give you the ''I'm heard you but I aint listening'' trick is to stay calm.

I have owned a JRT in the past a working dog, but she could be walked without lead, we just didn't do it where there were rabbits etc.,
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by viktory View Post
This is an interesting thread. Ruby is now 6 months old, has been going to regular classes and has pretty good recall (thanks to mature cheddar cheese!). However, as she is part Basset, she is real hound and loves to follow her nose. Sometimes she won't come back and I have to admit I get really nervous. Stupid really as she is in a great big field well away from any roads.

Think I may have to get brave!
Barney's nose is always guled to the ground following scents a bit like yours.

The not coming back is what i'm really scard about but your right if i pick a good safe place, whats to worry about.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Maggie's a rescue and we waited about 5 weeks before letting her off lead. This was so that she had time to bond with us and know who she belonged to before taking the plunge.

We were very nervous and kept a long line on her trailing on the ground and did loads of running off and calling her and hiding from her (still do) until we felt comfortable to take her off lead completely.

I have to say as time has gone on her prey/chase/hunt instinct has become very apparent and while it is something we work on she is only allowed off lead in the one place we known is relatively safe for her.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by lakeland_lass View Post
Mese how how would i know 100% like i said he is really good in farmiliar surrounds like the house or garden.
Mine are like yours in the house or garden , but when I take mine on the field and we meet other dogs (with owners, lol) at that point I cease to exist , doesnt matter what I do , ive looked a complete div , flapping my arms , falling over , squeaking in a high pitched voice , used a whistle , ive even carried liver with me which they adore ... nothing, zip, nada

to me that means they arent 100% (well duh , hehehe) and so they stay on their longlines (both of them have a 30ft longline)
Im still trying to train them , but in all honesty im not holding out any hope , it doesnt worry me that im not their be all and end all for those walks we meet other dogs , I know they adore me the rest of the time
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Maggie's a rescue and we waited about 5 weeks before letting her off lead. This was so that she had time to bond with us and know who she belonged to before taking the plunge.

We were very nervous and kept a long line on her trailing on the ground and did loads of running off and calling her and hiding from her (still do) until we felt comfortable to take her off lead completely.

I have to say as time has gone on her prey/chase/hunt instinct has become very apparent and while it is something we work on she is only allowed off lead in the one place we known is relatively safe for her.
You are absolutely correct and it's what most people would do. From experience though I have found that in the early days rescues and fosters particularly are very anxious and clingy, which is a really good time to work hard on the recall because they are looking for an excuse to come rushing back for a cuddle and treats. If in the unlikely event that they ignore me I will go and hide from them. After a couple of weeks when they have started to settle in they start pushing the boundaries but I usually have a solid recall established by then. It all depends on the individual dogs and having a really safe place to start them off.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
You are absolutely correct and it's what most people would do. From experience though I have found that in the early days rescues and fosters particularly are very anxious and clingy, which is a really good time to work hard on the recall because they are looking for an excuse to come rushing back for a cuddle and treats. If in the unlikely event that they ignore me I will go and hide from them. After a couple of weeks when they have started to settle in they start pushing the boundaries but I usually have a solid recall established by then. It all depends on the individual dogs and having a really safe place to start them off.
Fosters no problem, i need to know what their recall is like to pass on to new owners. I take them all to the local country park, and always in the woods because they have to stay in sight because of the trees. Have to say i have never gone home with less dogs than i left with, i have however had some long waits The longest being with my own Millie minx who thought that she had a chance catching the ducklings and proceeded to swim after them for 4 hrs, DOH had to go in and get her in the end although the others had a great time while she was messing about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >