View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The you did him 2 favours! His coat and exposing his weight! Super job.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Great pics, and what transformations, must say they look a lot happier stripped, thanks for the share x
scruffydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry i didnt find the pics but looks like you did a great job
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 01:33 PM
great thread have learnt something
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Handstripping is a mystery to me too. How do you know when the coat is ready, and how may times a year is it done?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
You know the coat is ready as it pulls out with no effort, the coat parts doen the middle too, a good indication. Its done dependant on the dog, some dogs hold a coat longer than others, on average though, 2 or 3 times a year.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Speaking for Airedales, the coat is ready if it comes out with a gentle tug and will look "blown" and scruffy. For pet Airedales, if they are stripped (many are clippered), they are usually done a few times a year, and left to get pretty hairy in between as they don't shed coat.

I show my younger Airedale, and I work on her coat every 3 days at least!! The tan areas (head, neck, shoulders, bottom) I keep really short with just a covering of hair, the black jacket is longer and more dense. I comb it through with a really fine tooth comb to remove a lot of the fluffy undercoat and keep it laying tight and flat, and strip the longest hairs. With this method the coat is constantly rotating or rolling and there is always new growth to replace the older longer hair that you are stripping. Not all coats can be rolled though, some you have to strip right down, let grow, strip right down again and so on.

The disadvantage with this method is that you do have to keep working it every few days with this method or you lose it and have to start from scratch and take it al right down.

The main advantage is that she's pretty much always looking tidy and ready to go!
pjkobulnicky
New Member!
Male 

07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the picts. They are very helpful. I am stripping my BT this week for the first time ... he is 10 months old. This is my first BT ... previously had Welshies. I was unsure of the neck, chest and tail so the pictures were useful.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Really interesting thread. Hand stipping is something i haven't a clue about.

I am starting a 6 months grooming course tomorrow, but feel like i've learnt quite a bit here. The dogs are gorgeous and look so much better after.

Maybe in a few months i will add a picture of my first "hand stripping"
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:13 AM
I've got my first hand strip BT in on Friday. I did a few when I was training and I've done a couple of x-breeds as well since.
Dreading it and I've underquoted by a fiver.
Going to print the pics and put them on the wall.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >