View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Hopefully Ollies is still in the same place.He has a tag attached to collar and ID tag saying he is chipped,so hopefully if it had moved they would scan all parts of his body.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:00 AM
It's just one of those things, the odd chip moves and tattoos can become illegible, no system is 100%. My experiences is none of my dogs chip shave moved or stopped working but the two dogs I had tattooed were illegible, so chips 1-tattoos none.
Becky
denbully
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:12 AM
It is very common for the chips to move and sometimes they do cause major problems as i found out with lucy about 8 weeks after having her chipped over night a huge lump appeared between her shoulders after antibiotics and trying to drain the lump she was taken in for surgery the chip had moved up into the muscle and had cause a infection so it was removed she was left with 10 stitches across her back and a drain but she just kept filling up with fluid so 2 weeks later she was taken back to surgery she had a reaction to the catnip they used to stick her muscle back together so she ended up having to have a bit of muscle removed and even bigger wound on her back 16 stitches in total and 2 drains they had to shave her whole back the scar is about 12 inches long and goes from one shoulder all the way over her back to the other shoulder she was very badley bruised but healed well you can sometimes just about see the scar but luckly all her fur grew back nicley and even after all this she loves going to the vets, due to this i decided i would not chas chipped when i got him i would hate to put another dog through all the proding and poking and surgery that lucy had to go through.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I would like to point out that it isn't common for chips to cause problems or move, it does happen but when over 25,000 pets are chipped every month the vast majority, probably well over 95%, do not have problems.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Bandits chip is in his chest also, he wears a disc , saying exactly that.

Chips should be put , between the shoulder blades , giving them an anchor (hopefully) to stay where they are put.

Alot of vets will place chip in the scuff of the neck, hence them moving about.

Always best to have someone do it who knows what they are doing, unfortunatey a lot of vets dont.

P.S ...I did not think you could have two put it.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I've got 9 dogs all chipped, never had a problem with any of them, and when the time comes to get another dog....which won't be for a few years now I'll do it again, better to be safe than sorry.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Bandits chip is in his chest also, he wears a disc , saying exactly that.

Chips should be put , between the shoulder blades , giving them an anchor (hopefully) to stay where they are put.

Alot of vets will place chip in the scuff of the kneck, hence them moving about.

Always best to have someone do it who knows what they are doing, unfortunatey a lot of vets dont.

P.S ...I did not think you could have two put it.
Exactly what i was about to type. I have been on the chip course for Data Mars and Petlog and the instructors were complaining about vets being a constant frustration for them.
As they DO show the vets where they should implant the chips, but some just cant get out their habit of injecting in the scruff (a'la vaccines etc), and some just chose to ahead and do it their own way.
I even once read a Small Animal Vet Association magazine for Pet Dog Owners, which included a section on microchipping, with the "information" it should be implanted in the scruff
When i worked in rescue, many dogs came in with migrated chips. The vast majority of these had been implanted by vets in the scruff.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks everyone, I think she was more concerned about it going into an organ or something like that. If that's definately not a possibility then I should think wearing a tag to say where the chip is might be the best option, unless she wants a new chip put in too. I should think she'll be relieved she hasn't got to shave her girl and put her through an op as i know she was getting herself worked up over it all, thanks guys can count on you lot for a good solution
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2007, 06:09 PM
When tob was chipped at a 10 week old pup, it was put in between his shoulder blades.
But because of his rate of growth, it has moved down and is more the other side of his shoulder/ side.
But he has a tag on stating hes chipped etc.
My old lad ben, was chipped it stayed in the right place, but moved to the surface and you could feel it, all done by the vets.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:26 PM
My vet must be a rarity He has done all the chipping of my crew [ mogs and dogs ], except Flukes who`s was done by his rescue before I adopted him. None of theirs have moved, they are checked routinely every time they have boosters or titres :smt001

I have also taken many strays / lost cats and dogs to my vet to be scanned and he checks every inch of them in case of migrating chips.

A chip migrating does`nt mean its not working properly but it is very frustrating when anyone scanning them does`nt bother to check anywhere but the usual spot a chip should be, and worse, the number of rescues which [ still ], don`t have a scanner and don`t bother to have apparent strays checked at a vet or by a dog warden

All my crews tags state that they are chipped as well as having the plastic chip tag on their collars.
If I ever had a crew member whose chip moved I would put "Migrated Chip" on the tag to make sure they were scanned all over.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »