View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 10:21 AM
A head collar really helps as you can control the head and so his behaviour more easily - dogmatics are good.
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a 7 month old Husky who is mouthing and jumping at the moment. One piece of advice i had from somebody from this website was everytime she jumps keep turn your back on her, keep your reactions quick and keep turning ahe eventually gets bored and wonders off then when i call her she will come and sit. The mouthing is another issue and yes she does it too my kids, we have done the "OUCH" thing and that worked to start but she soon got wise to it, at the moment we are just moving our hands, arms quickly out of the way and saying a firm NO but remember dont say the dogs name with the word NO otherwise they will think everytime you call them you are going to tell them off, if you come up with any new ideas on mouthing please let me know as all advice is greatfully received and GOOD LUCK
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
We tried the back turning on Dingo but it didn't work for us because he just nipped you on the bum instead.
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Mika still jumps up us when we turn out back but she will only do it a couple of times b4 she gets fed up with it, she hasnt bit my bum yet just lucky i have plenty of padding!!!!!!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Benson did what you described all the time, a very frustrating and bad mannered habit!!

Nothing I did stopped it, I also tried all the techniques mentioned. I think possibly that's why he ended up in rescue...the mouthing and nipping was incredibly annoying.

A while back, I bought myself a 'Pet Corrector' which is a small can of compressed air, which when pressed releases a blast of air and a 'hiss' sound. Whenever Benson jumped up and mouthed, I gave him a blast of this whilst uttering a firm 'NO'.

It has really worked well, to the point now that when I see the twinkle in his eye as he prepares to lunch and nip, just showing him the can stops him in his tracks.

Worked for me.
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks that may be another thing to try can you get them at the pet shop or is it a vets product
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
The 'Pet Corrector' can be purchased at Jollyes etc
sharkbait556
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2008, 02:26 PM
i saw something on the tv the other day for this problem and it seemed to work quite well.

When the dog started to jump another person threw a glass of water at the dogs face while saying NO! loudly. It only took 2 glasses of water for the dog to realise the connection between the two. I know you cant carry a glass of water around with you but you could try it at home first to see if it helps or carry a water pistol with you. When the dog has associated the water with jumping etc the hand movement alone (simulating throwing a glass of water) and saying NO! should be enough
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2