View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 06:54 PM
sorry if this sounds blunt ...but would you let her get away with it if she were male ??
Robert
Dogsey Senior

06-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Heidi went trhough a phase of humping even though she's speyed, we just used to shout "NO you rude girl", and she stopped, the neighbours gave us funny looks at that time though

I'm not sure I agree with scruffing dogs and pinning them down though, I think it can make them over submissive, I think a firm "NO" and perhaps some time out in another room would be the first thing to try.

As for it being a dominant thing, I rather think its more the puppy doing something that gives it a nice feeling, after all her body is developing fast and she's finding things out about her self.

Oh Dear I seem to ba at odds with every one else, just my opinion though.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
murphy, my male dog used to do this all the time. other dog that lives with my mum, not here.
He used to hump his teddy bears we let him get on with it. So long as it was his toys and not us.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 07:06 PM
S'ok Robert -thats the beauty of forums
I think it depends on the dog as to what approach you take -My Murph has the makings of a very dominent male -with young kids in the house we just couldn't have it -horses for courses and all that
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2004, 10:30 PM
i dont let max hump us! he does try mainly me and i dont want him to do it to the kids or friends kids so i just say bad boy in a cross voce and he looks all sorry for himself. i havent felt the need to scruff max as he is quite easily offended with a cross word but would if i needed to
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2004, 08:03 AM
G.L is right it's a sign of dominence(SP) a firm NO has to be said every time ...the prob is if you let her be in charge when another pup comes to live it will be really hard .......
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Yeah i also agree with kate, nip it in the bud asap.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Robert
As for it being a dominant thing, I rather think its more the puppy doing something that gives it a nice feeling, after all her body is developing fast and she's finding things out about her self.

Oh Dear I seem to ba at odds with every one else, just my opinion though.
Not at odds with me Robert. It is a perfectly natural thing, generally not related at all to dominance in a young puppy. It is as natural for a pup as peeing & pooing. It should be discouraged but the dog should not be overly disciplined for displaying this behaviour. Remove the dog from the stimulus, or the stimulus from the dog. Distract the pup, put it in a drop or sit. Praise for compliance.

I do not think that scruffing or 'alpha rolling' is at all appropriate.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2004, 09:07 AM
[b]a firm telling off to make it clear that its not allowed should be enough,it is part of growing up like robert has said but it also trying it on .it has to be stopped or she will always do it.
some dogs try it on more than others and i know a few that have a toy/blanket but then again they can become very protective of it too.
with the kids and tob if he attempts it i just pull him off and tell him no and get a toy to distract him,get his mind of the humping mode .he doesn't do it anymore as he has now learnt it isn't allowed and not a game that we play ,he tended to try when he got over excited and carried away in play mode.
just don't let her do it she will get the message arms etc are not for that.[u]
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Why would a bitch humping a leg show signs of dominance? I dont like the word dominance, its like the pack theory our pet dogs arent wolves are they. KIera came to us as she was 'dominating' the lady owner that had her previously, but from observation and getting to know her it wasnt dominance it was Learnt behaviour, i think people are too quick to put all kinds of situations down to 'dominance' and group lots of different behaviours together under this heading Dont use forceful methods to stop her use distraction methods. A crisp tube such as a pringles tube 1/4 full with stones, and when she approaches your leg, make as much noise with it as possible and then walk away when she has been distracted, i would suggest to get 3 or 4 different sounding distraction items as they soon cotton on and if become accustomed to that particular noise, and dont pay attention ot it anymore you could even use a toy later on... but not straight away as then you are rewarding her for that particular behaviour
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >