View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
He looks really healthy and lively for his age so that will deff be in his favour if he needs to go under
Let us know how you get on at the vets - poor boy that must really be making him feel rubbish
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
My Molly had to have an op when she was 13 years old and like you I was very worried .
Whilst she was under, she had several teeth removed that we're bad or loose and actually it was probably the best thing that happened to her. She recovered from her op and had a whole new lease of life - she was like a little pup again and lasted very happily until she was just over 18 years of age.
I bet Brownie will feel tonnes better once he has his teeth and gums sorted out

dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:16 PM
With old dogs like this where I work we would run bloods to check his kidney/ liver function either before he is sedated or after,we would have him on a drip for the day aswell,I see lots of old dogs have anaesthetics with no problems at all
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Bad tooth GONE! They listened to his heart and took his BP and stuff and said his heart and everything seemed fine and that there was no reason for me to worry. He was a lot better than I thought he'd be, behavior wise. There is no infection and though the vet wanted to prescribe antibiotics anyway, I can't STAND medicating my dog for no reason. I said no to the medicine. He's been hurt by other dogs and all kinds of stuff and he's never needed antibiotics. I already see some of the redness in the gums starting to recede. He already feels SO much better. I was told to treat with warm salt water for a while. Will do! I'll keep everyone updated, I'll post another in a week or so once he's had time to recover. Wish us the best. He's eating fine and he doesn't seem to be in any real pain.

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 10:11 PM
glad it all went well. what a good boy
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
glad it all went well. what a good boy
Thanks. He's a Labrador and they're always so awesome. He knew everyone was trying to help him and cooperated beautifully. He also just lets me do whatever I want so it's SO easy to get photos and stuff.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Aww, bless him. Pleased to hear it went well. He's looking good for his age

Helen
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 06:00 AM
So glad it went well. Personally, I would have given him the AB's as to prevent infection is always a good thing. Just my opinion, though.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So glad it went well. Personally, I would have given him the AB's as to prevent infection is always a good thing. Just my opinion, though.

The vets are always trying to over medicate your dog. I can't stand it. If he has no infection, then he doesn't need medication. He's been in several fights unfortunately, along with other accidents and not once has he ever developed an infection. He's never taken antibiotics in his entire life. I don't see the reason to give them to him now. Thank you for your comment, I'm sure most people agree with you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Thank goodness the tooth is gone, and that he is doing so well. It must be a huge relief for both of you!

I appreciate your wish not to use medication if it is unnecessary - however Jimmi has most definitely needed ABs on many occasions and in fact is currently on yet another course. Bad paws you see If I can prevent infection, or stop it getting worse, then load me down with those ABs
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >