Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone thanks for the tips.

The rawhide was compressed and the only difference was that I bought them from some where else. They did not have them close to a meal or near exercise.

I slept with the dogs in the night to makesure they were ok. Misty was sick for about an hour and then finally fell asleep, she seems ok this morning a little quiet but not being sick and going to the toilet ok, however Angel is ok if hes lying down but whenever he starts moving about too much he starts wretching again, hes not actually bringing anything up now though.

They have both had rawhide before and this is the first time I have had a problem.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi, sorry to hear your dogs were sick after their rawhide treats, hope they are better now.

I stopped giving rawhide treats after my GSD Jasper nearly choked to death on one He literally could not get his breath and it was only that we were there and intervened and managed to dislodge the lump from his throat that I believe he was saved.

Since then I have never fed rawhide because most dogs have that tendancy not to chew properly and gulp down large pieces of it where it is very hard to digest.

I do allow Ozzy pigs ears as he crunches them up into tiny bits with much glee and has never had any problems with them. He is a total pig-ear addict and if we haven't given him one by 8.00 he will run to the treat drawer licking his lips to remind us!
parker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Hope your dogs are better.
For what it is worth I was advised by friend (vet nurse) not to give raw hide bones. The bits expand......... she just basically said the amount of dogs they've had to operate on ...... don't.
Obviously just one nurses experience.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 06:18 PM
personally i dont feed rawhides. they are very dangerous and many dogs choke on them.
i have had the scary experience of indie choking on one and i had to pull it from her throat. luckily it had not gone down very far, but if it had gone further she would have choked to death.

they just arent worth the risk. i prefer to stick to raw marrow bones or safe chewy bones like those jumbones u get from bakers or pedigree. As much as i hate processed dog treats, they are far safer than rawhides or cooked marrow bones with fillings.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I also don't feed rawhide anymore after Maddy (a.k.a - "the gannet") nearly choked on the knot bit of one. I had to reach into her throat and pull it out, and her throat ended up very sore and inflamed for days

Charlie and Dusty had always had rawhide and been fine, but when this happened I stopped buying it altogether.

I do feed pigs ears everyday though, and they are fine with them

I never feed any kind of cooked bones, but they get a raw bone with meat on every 2 - 3 days and love them
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Aw sorry to hear that. I used to give rawhide but stopped because I read that it can be nasty - some is bleached, some may be contaminated and it can cause stomach irritation which results in vomiting. Depends where it comes from, apparently. Maybe this is what happened with yours as you got it from a different place?

Try a nice raw bone maybe, or things like carrots? Keep an eye on him as SB says.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Years ago when I was a novice dog owner, I gave my dog rawhide bones and he retched on the pieces he pulled of and it gave him the runs, would never give my dogs anything like that again.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Kate - I think its just that you gave them large ones. Mine do that if they have too much.

I just buy the rawhide flats, which are just enough for a quick treat - they have them every morning to keep them quiet while I go back to bed for half an hour with my cuppa.
lou3
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Rawhide is awful stuff. It will make a lot of dogs sick and can cause intestinal impactions. I would stick to feeding "biscuit" type chews and denta stix.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Hope the dogs are feeling better. We feed them to our dogs (though I will think twice after reading some of the stories) we have bought the large ones and also the ex large (giant size) ones. Lucky for us they eat what they want and leave it they never eat a whole one in one sitting be it large or ext large normally they last for ages.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2