Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
This is the relevant law, taken from the Protection of Animals Act 1911.

9 Use of dogs for purposes of draught

If any person shall use, or cause or procure, or being the owner permit, to be used, any dog for the purpose of drawing or helping to draw any cart, carriage, truck, or barrow, on any public highway, he shall be liable upon summary conviction in respect of the first offence to a fine not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale].

However apparenly this law does not extend to Scotland

As long as you are not using the dogs in harness on public highways then you are breaking no law Most Sled Dog owners are extremely concientious and all should have public liability insurance if working their dogs (in fact most places who issue permits insist upon it).

Thanks Greyhawk, This is what I believed to, and why I asked for it to be clarified on another thread. At best I think it’s can be misleading quoting parts of information which add weight to your argument and ignoring all the facts and at worst it’s manipulative
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
OK.. so the point being WHERE you do it is possibly breaking the law

NOT ACTUALLY WORKING THE DOG!!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 05:29 PM
You have to remember that things like public rights of way are also public 'highways' You cannot use your rigs on public footpaths only bridleways but then you fall foul of the law using dogs as draught animals on public highways which is what public rights of way are.
So unless you have permission to use the land you are on and it isn't a public highway you are breaking the law.
The reason why I haven't come back because I was waiting for the exact wording but someone beat me too it.
Becky
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
BUT it is NOT breaking the law to work the dogs which is what you said..

It is breaking the law to have them work on public highways which is fair enough.. but if you are on private land or have permission then its legal..

BUT you said working the dogs was illegal NOT working them on public land... the issue of WHERE It was done was NOT mentioned..

The PERMITS are permission to use the land.. NOT permission to work your dog.. which again is what you said... that because people were only getting permits for the use of the land they were still breaking the law
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I apologise for any confusion I have caused my understanding was that it was totally barred.
However, as I have only ever seen people using rigs on public highways, which include footpaths and bridleways, then they are, indeed, breaking the law.
I would like to point out that I don't actually have an issue with people using their sibes etc for this type of work.
Becky
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I apologise for any confusion I have caused my understanding was that it was totally barred.
However, as I have only ever seen people using rigs on public highways, which include footpaths and bridleways, then they are, indeed, breaking the law.
I would like to point out that I don't actually have an issue with people using their sibes etc for this type of work.
Becky
what do you an issue with?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky

Apology accepted.. but no it is not totally barred or the police would be very busy arresting hundreds of owners who regularly run their dogs at highly publicised events up and down the country.. look at dogsportscotland.co.uk and see for yourself.. We have a HUGE event at Drumlanrig castle each year and it is attended by 1000's of people over the weekend and the week at Aviemore is very very popular..

However yes if you have only ever seen people on public highways then yes they are breaking the law.. UNLESS they have a permit for to do so.

And I am glad that you don't have a problem with these dogs doing what they are bred to do..
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by afc101 View Post
what do you an issue with?
Breaking the law?!
Becky
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I've looked through every animal welfare law that we have, including new and proposed laws. and I can't find anything the refers to Mahooli's claims.

If there is a law that I haven't found or seen, I'd be interested to see it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Erm I think this thread has just discussed it or have I got that wrong?
Becky
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >