View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Sorry you didn't pass Ben, but you seem to have taken on board what was said, and hopefully will use the experience to increase your skills in handling a class. It is very different from doing one to ones, isn't it? We all go into our comfort zone when we are nervous, so as suggested below try and get some class experience and next time that will be your comfort zone!
Spotting stress in any of the dogs - and doing something about it - is important.
Well done on doing some good one to ones - okay, it didn't get your membership but presumably it helped some of the owners.
Good luck when you take it again.
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Problem dogs or not, I guess they asses you on how you deal with them. You may only get half an exercise done but if you are thinking of how to sort out barking dogs and trying different methods, they must appreciate that.
Yes, the assessors will be looking at how you deal with challenging dogs in the class, as well as ensuring that the class has the opportunity to be taught the various exercises required. The assessment changed a few years ago, and now you go to a central venue, and do not get assessed at your own classes. The written and oral are also much more detailed than under the old scheme.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks Val
Yup I aggree with everything the assesors said, they were great people and did a fab job. The oral part was really well done (although I already knew I had messed up by then so I was pretty relaxed)

I deff know what I have to work on. Hopefully next year it should be a breeze as I know what work on

- only problem at the moment is all the APDT's classes round here are full or not running so I am going to have to take a gamble with other classes
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Good for you Ben. If you ask to go along and watch some of the classes you will probably get a good idea of whether you want to help out there, or not! Hope you manage to find a good class who will let you get some class practise in.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone thought about the BIPDT course.
It's a certified course and pretty good value. You certainly learn loads! http://www.bipdt.org.uk/courses.html
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2010, 11:00 PM
if you are thinking of going for APDT membership rather than BIPDT, why don't you do the APDT course? Might be more to your taste although it is more theory than BIPDT.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Val H View Post
if you are thinking of going for APDT membership rather than BIPDT, why don't you do the APDT course? Might be more to your taste although it is more theory than BIPDT.
Have you seen the prices of APDT Courses?! They are v expensive IMO.
The BIPDT provides accomadation and breakfast and two three course meals a day.
The BIPDT concentrate on teaching and instructing and not necessarily techniques. They specify how important a demo is!
I went to a APDT intructors class recently and he never once demostrated an exercise with a dog or picked someone from the class to dem it.
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Demonstrations are very important. It is vital to cover all the learning styles of owners in the class. I would be disappointed in any instructor who didn't dem. Wonder why he didn't? Did you ask?
The practical side of it is very important, but without the underpinning of learning theory you would perhaps not understand why something worked (or didn't) or what to do if the methods you do know didn't work.
The APDT course is also residential - cost of accomodation and food included. But it is your choice, of course. I was just curious.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2010, 05:14 AM
The instructor briefly demonstrates. But not using a dog. Neither his dog or a handler's dog.
I suppose he demonstrates the required body language but I don't think that is sufficient.

I was shocked at the APDT couse cost!
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Yes, I have seen that more and more over the last few years - instructors do a sort of mime, with movements and all, but no dog. What is that all about? I don't like it. I like to demonstrate with a real puppy/dog that has no idea. Otherwise, how can owners relate it to their own dog?

How much is BIPDT? Is it still five days? You said you did the BIPDT previously - how much theory do you get? Is it mostly practical work? I nearly went many years ago but then didn't want to leave my dog in the car overnight (as was the arrangement at the time) and later decided BIPDT was not the way I wanted to go.

Val
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >