View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:55 AM
To leave a dog tied to a treadmill unattended is the height of irresponsibility! Some ppl.........!!!???
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
To leave a dog tied to a treadmill unattended is the height of irresponsibility! Some ppl.........!!!???
exactly!!!!!

i wacthed him once - wasnt impressed - thank god i never watched that episode?!!!!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I think some people do use them for dogs, but to be honest I think there dangerous enough for people!
So tieing a dog to one is asking for trouble...I mean what chance would it have???
I dont know if its that commom in england I dont know anyone who uses them for there dogs...but Alot of people do in the states.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt use one for a dog
much better to just increase their overall exercise
Slightly longer walks, meet ups with other dogs, swimming, playing fetch, bike riding - or what about joining agility or flyball? much more fun for both of you
you can even make up games in the house to have them running about a bit more - find the toy, find you, go get the duster?
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 12:58 AM
im putting my treadmill on ebay tom!

haha thats weird!! shame you arent nearer to me!!
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 06:49 AM
treadmills are a great way for dogs to burn off their excess energy. when a dog is put onto a treadmill they should be monitored at all times especially when they are on a lead.
when you first introduce your dog to a treadmill, have it at a slow walking pace, making sure he is on a lead and you are holding it. you can then tie your dogs lead to the treadmill, but you must supervise and only have him on there for a maximum of 20 minutes to start off with. over a two week period your dog will learn how to correctl walk on the treadmill and get off of it as well. when your dog gets used to going on the treadmill, he will be able to go on there without being tied to it and once he knows its beneficial to him, he wont want to get off of it and will want to go on there all the time.

you can use human treadmills, but if you want to splash out on your dog then you can get proper dog treadmills from about £1000! you could even buy two human treadmills and work out with your dog; like a pack would!

you also have to remember that dogs in the wild will walk for up to 10 hours a day. even though your dog goes out for walks, doesnt always mean that they are totally satisfied and may still have alot of pent up energy that they need to burn off!
there are alot of things you can do to help burn off your dogs energy; swimming, bike riding and rollerblading are great exercise for your dog. you can also buy doggy backpacks, these will help burn off twice as much energy than in the normal walk. if you decide to go down this route then your dog must have a health check, be weighed and must not have any back problems if he is to wear a backpack. it is important that you know how much your dog weighs because they can only carry a maximum of 10% of their body weight. so is a dog weights 27kilos, then your dog can only carry a maximum of 2.7kilos in the backpack!
the dog backpack is a great tool and is used for all kind of dogs, to burn off energy and to sort out problem dogs when out walking. it is also a mental stimulus, because the dog has a JOB, therefore he will concentrate a lot more, thus draining twice as much energy!
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Yep - one dog died on one of CM's treadmills!

I think personally, as long as treadmills aren't used instead of walks and the dog is taught how to use them starting off slower and building it up, then not pushing the dog to go faster than is good for them then I think they're ok for a bit of extra exercise.

Sometimes I could do with one for Takara as she'll go for a walk for a couple of hours, come back and still want to run about!

That said, if your dog isn't happy, he shouldn't be forced to use it, it's very easy for their paws to get caught in them things!
i watch cesar millan all the time and i think he is a great man. i never miss an episode and even if i do i catch up with it, he has alot of great training techniques.

you said a dog died on one of cesars treadmills, when was this? i havent heard about it until now????
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I have a friend who uses one, to build muscle in a very specific way, no different to me than a horse walker, I would use one if I had the opportunity - Dalmatians were used as carriage dogs which involved trotting for 30 miles at a time!
Anything is dangerous if it is not used properly. I heard of a puppy dying in a crate because it was left in there with a collar on .... hanged itself!
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by daycare4dogs View Post
i watch cesar millan all the time and i think he is a great man. i never miss an episode and even if i do i catch up with it, he has alot of great training techniques.

you said a dog died on one of cesars treadmills, when was this? i havent heard about it until now????
i have just seen this on the internet that CM is being sued:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...hisperer_x.htm

in the above web page it doesnt say that the dog died, but was bleeding from it mouth and nose and had to have surgery. it doesnt say that CM was training the dog on the treadmill, but one of his employees. he cant be in 20 places at once and accidents happen! it was his stupid employee that put a choke chain on the dog and then put it on a treadmill. what a nutter, id sure like to get hold of that employee and put him/her on a treadmill with a choke chain round their neck!!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wouldnt use one for a dog
much better to just increase their overall exercise
Slightly longer walks, meet ups with other dogs, swimming, playing fetch, bike riding - or what about joining agility or flyball? much more fun for both of you
you can even make up games in the house to have them running about a bit more - find the toy, find you, go get the duster?
I agree with Pam about exercise.
To me exercise is not just about movement, it is just as much about mental stimulation/socialization/ and the dogs well being as a whole, things you can't get from using a treadmill.

Unless a treadmill is used in a veterinary context under the supervision of a vet to treat a specific injury I can see no use for them. In some circles they have connections with dog fighting.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >