View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I think he is attention seeking, but I could be wrong. When biting is involved I think it's always best to look at a beahviourist coming in to help you out.

The thing is, you and your OH obviously adore doing the garden, so perhaps when you are out there you have tended to leave him to his own devices more???? I know we do when we are outside. If that's the case could it be that Max is chancing his arm and trying to get your attention?

A trailing line could help, or giving him a fenced in area perhaps? So he's outside but can't get to you? Ignoring him is working and it sounds to me like biting you was his extra attempt at getting your attention.

My only other thought, is that perhaps Max is, for some reason, more nervous outside? Perhaps he is trying to get your attention to alert you to this?
Or....could it be that when he was younger you did most of your playing with him in the garden so he sees you and him being outside as 'fun' time????
Just some ideas,but i do think it would be worth getting in a reputable behaviourist before it gets worse,in the meantime can you be outside without him???
hat's he like if you stop and give him attention????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Just seen your other thread about the veg patch (looking good by the way), just a thought but has his behaviour started or got worse since you got busy doing that??
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Max does it even if we are outside to play with him! All I have to do is walk to the bins, or the garage, and he starts.

Nothing seems to distract him, food toys etc. If I ask for a sit/wait/quiet he totally ignores me.

I've even tried, when he is jumping and barking, to crouch down and ask for cuddles and try and stroke him, he just jumps at me (and it's quite scary from knelt down).

I'm sure it is attention seeking, as if he is outside on his own, he plays with his toys etc as normal.

ETA: The behaviour started before the veg patch project began, maybe about February (but it has got steadily worse)
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 11:40 AM
If it were me - I would take him straight back in until he calms down - it sounds like over exuberance? I certainly don't think he means to do anything just gets too excited but he needs to learn he has to control himself.

It sounds like most of what I would suggest you have tried. But I think putting him on a a lead may help to keep further control of him.

Is your OH knocked over by him? Maybe he holds him and really truly ignores his jumping etc. until he settles - do you use a clicker can't remember?

Using a clicker might help as soon as he is quiet? Timing will be key even if he stops for a second his jumping click and treat.

From what you say this is a habit that he has learnt over time and may take alot of work.

I really think you might be right and need to discuss soem ideas with a trainer and for them to actually witness what he does?

Sorry not much help Iso/chick - and don't give up it doesn't sound unresolvable but will take time - he obviously has got into this habit and loves the attention.

All the best,

Rach
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 11:48 AM
The only way I can take him back in is to walk in so he will follow me, as he is "uncatchable" in this mode.

I'm not sure about keeping him on a lead/long line outside, as he has free-run of the whole garden/paddock and I'd have to tie him to a dog-peg/stake everytime I went outside; or alternatively keep him shut inside whenever I'm outside.

He does do the same thing to OH, but he is bigger and stronger than I am, so Max can't push him over, although he's done the same moves on him.

I've thought about getting OH to video him jumping and barking to put on here (and show a trainer!). At this rate I'll end up on Dog Borstal!

I'm going to have a word at my training class next week, and see if one of the trainers can help me, or can recommend a behaviourist.

Thanks guys... will keep you updated!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh you poor thing. Ivan can get very boisterous. I hold his collar and wait for him to calm down. He struggles against it at times but I hold firm. I don't hurt him in any way, don't speak to him and as soon as he has calmed down I let go. He will push it a couple of times but for the most part now if I even go to hold his collar he stops himself and sits. I never continue to play with him after this and I walk away too. I am very consistant and he is very very slowly getting the message.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2