View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Great advice guys, i have only got a small crate so could take it upstairs in my bedroom. I have got vetbed for the bottom and a blanket and was thinkinh of ordering a cuddle pal that you heat up specifically for pets to put inwith her at night. Is it ok not to have water in overnight? And I'm wondering if she has her last meal at tea time say 5 or 6 would she still need to poo during the night? I am planning on taking her out to the garden all the time during the day for toileting after meals naps etc too so dont really want to use paper or puppy pads.
Wow so much think about!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I too am crate training Lola, we do bring the crate up into the bedroom, but as Mini says it is heavy. But she also eats in there and she has started to go in there and lays down of her own accord now. She does still have a two minute protest when you shut the door. But she is getting there now. I do think I would have taken Minihaha's advice and used a small box, but she is used to the crate now.
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
I too am crate training Lola, we do bring the crate up into the bedroom, but as Mini says it is heavy. But she also eats in there and she has started to go in there and lays down of her own accord now. She does still have a two minute protest when you shut the door. But she is getting there now. I do think I would have taken Minihaha's advice and used a small box, but she is used to the crate now.
Hi love the name lola, i am still trying to think of a name for my puppy
So should i feed her meals in the crate too?
Shall i remove her water through the night or does she need it in her crate with her?
Thanks
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Hi,

Just a few more points in answer to your questions.

We feed Dougal his last feed at 6pm but find he often needs to poo again when he goes out around 2am. We don't use puppy pads as we wanted him to teach him to use the garden only. So far we have only had the occasional accident inside which is to be expected and he has never gone toilet in his crate. The last 2 nights the time until he first wakes has increased to 4.5 hours.

We also leave water in his crate at all times. When he first came home, we also fed him in his crate to help him get used to it, but he has his food outside the crate now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I would never leave a puppy without water, especially overnight, it's a very long time, he could get dehydrated and you wouldn't want that. You do need one of those clip on bowls (never used one myself) or a really heavy bowl because guaranteed it'll get turned over in the night, cos that's what puppies do isn't it!

Oh you're going to have some fun
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Thank you i will get a clip on bowl and make sure she has water available at all times.
All the advice is very helpful and i am feeling a little less confused!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
One thing that can often help is a Busy Buddy, it is not easily available but can be got online and is a soft dog that goes in with the puppy, it has a heartbeat and is warm
http://www.snugglepetproducts.com/

Most pups find it really soothing and comforting so sleep easier and for longer ... they feel more secure.

Wys
x
That sounds great. Years ago I used to use a loud ticking old fashioned clock wrapped in a blanket with a hot water bottle - can't say it worked but I guess the theory was the same - warmth and fool them into thinking there is a heartbeat close by.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
That sounds great. Years ago I used to use a loud ticking old fashioned clock wrapped in a blanket with a hot water bottle - can't say it worked but I guess the theory was the same - warmth and fool them into thinking there is a heartbeat close by.
I do think it helps. Agree with puppy in the bedroom too, very important.

I realise I put Busy Buddy - I meant Snuggle pet!

Wys
x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Just want to say agree STRONGLY that you should never leave an animal without access to water. Whatever for?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2013, 03:13 PM
In spite of having two 8 week old littermates together I bought a snuggle pet and they loved it and would both snuggle up with it. Here you can see one of pups cuddled up behind the black and white snugglepet which is in the middle and the other pup just fell asleep with his head out of the crate

I ended up having to pad out their crate with loads of blankets. They also loved having a blanket draped over the crate like a little cave - I think it makes them feel more secure. I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your little pup very soon.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >