View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I have always had big Molosser breeds with the exception of our cross bred terrier girl, because i like big dogs, and theres much more to them being just "big" dogs, some breeds can be a challenge to own..eg..Spike as he certainly were not bred for brains so training him was a great big challenge, even so hes my big soft lad and i love him to bits.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 11:35 AM
I was 18, OH was 19 (we weren't married then I hasten to add, but we have known each other for about 3 thousand years) we were in a rugby club on a Saturday night.

Blokes were sitting around, yakking and drinking beer. Someone had a fantastic muscley light brindle Staffy dog. Hadn't knowingly met one before that. Everyone was throwing crisps towards the crotch of a not terribly popular player, sitting with his legs splayed (as they do) and the Staff was going Whap, Whap, snatching them out of the air, about 2" from disaster, with his massive maw! The player was going whiter and whiter but didn't dare move!!!!

We found out what the dog was, researched the breed and made a point of speaking to every owner we came across. We said we'd have one, one day. It look about 15 years but we got our Dolly, as a pup in 1982. She was with us nearly 13 years. We were Staff-less for nearly10 years and now we have Dinah.

Sorry, that went on a bit but I thought you might like the crisps episode!

PS No 'nads were harmed in the telling of this story!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 11:41 AM
He he DM
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 01:23 PM
i had a few diffrent breeds before i found the stafford.
i had seen a few when i was grown up but had never met 1
when my friend move across the road from me and she had a stafford and i fell in love.
i i did a lot of book reading and tried to find a breed like them just in case there were not for me but the more i read the more i liked

i went to see loads of litter and could not find 1 i liked
then my OH went and got me Sally for Xmas (i know he should not have) and that was 12 years ago
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Aaaawwwwwwww Nat
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I will always have a lab in my life, couldnt live without one
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 01:29 PM
The first dog of my own when we first had Kyle (my eldest) and our own home was a staffy. Didnt really know much about the breed to be honest but I liked them. A friend had pick of the litter and offered him to us.
Sam as he was called got me hooked totally on the breed ( or should i say "addicted" ) so much so that when we lost him after fourteen and a half years I vowed I wouldnt have another as it was too painful. Six months later I really started to miss having a dog in the family and looked into bulldogs and bull terriers. But I was smitten with staffys and so it had to be another. Now we have two and unless I get really old and too frail to have a staffy there will always be one in my family.

I L :smt049 ve their sense of fun, love their smiles and the way they laugh, love their enthusiasm for life and the way they enjoy being couch potatoes at times and most of all love their staffy kisses :smt049 :smt049 :smt049

what can i say- i just love the breed :smt040 :smt023
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 01:31 PM
After meeting my sister's stafford I was hooked. When we took her on cos my sister couldn't cope we fell more and more in love with the breed. My OH has owned Springer Spaniels and Border Collies but he also fell in love with Lara.

He even taught Lara to round up sheep, that was a sight that had to be seen to be belived
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2004, 01:54 PM
we chose a boxer cause they are really good with kids and fitted into our noisy life
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Well I never imagined myself having a terrier - truthfully I was alittle wary of them. Always thought I would end up with a boxer, whippet or some kind of gundog. But, I was watching GroundForce one night and there was an Irish terrier on it that was digging up the garden - and I feel in love :smt007 . The Irish knocked Tommy off his feet and was "murumphing" him on the ground and I thought to myself that's the dog for me. So I did plenty of researching on the breed and pretty much loved everything I found out. I also have tons of allergies and the Irish don't really moult, so they seemed like good choice. I would never be without an Irish, and although sometimes I think I must be crazy living under her "dictatorship", most of the time I feel priviledged to know her. I now have a soft spot for most terrier breeds - I like a dog with attitude .
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >