View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 12:29 PM
That's why I said sometimes. Also thinking about it sometimes people won't even know what it is on a collar, note the sometimes in that comment too !
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I would report someone using an e-collar, so far I have never seen anyone use one, thank goodness.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I would take a good look at the owner before making a comment about a dog or its treatment of. If I saw someone beating a dog I would definitely scream at them but regarding tapping on the nose, e-collars, choke chain I would assess the situation before saying anything.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 06:09 PM
For me, it is not necessarily the means of restraint or reproof, but how it is administered.

If I saw a dog in clear distress, or even slightly distressed to be honest, after any form of "punishment" or restraint, then I would not hesitate to say something, and in extreme cases I would probably wade in.

Having said that, a dog's body language is not always totally reliable.............Jimmi frequently looks like a badly beaten, ill treated dog if I dare to suggest that we go on a different route to the one that he envisaged
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Are you conducting a huge survey AZZ? Or gathering info for a new Census lol!

Hardly any new posts on here today other than your questions!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Are you conducting a huge survey AZZ? Or gathering info for a new Census lol!

Hardly any new posts on here today other than your questions!
Good question think some of may be a little worried at recent announcements and keeping quiet in case we get forcibly ignored.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Well I usually do my best to avoid people on my walks so it ain't that likely I'd be in the situations you describe but I can't see that I'd bother with someone tapping their dog on it's nose, however if they were beating their dog then yes I would step in. I don't think I've ever seen an E collar in use and if I did and the dog didn't react then nor would I. Of course if the dog reacted badly and appeared distressed I would attempt to engage the user in conversation and find out why they were using it and what they hoped to achieve. Choke chains hmm well where we walk dogs are offlead so a choke chain wouldn't be of concern.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Say you saw someone with a choker chain on their dog - would you say something?
NO

Someone with an electric shock collar
NO

Someone tapping their dog on the nose
NO

Someone saying they were thinking of breeding?
MAYBE - if they were up for a discussion about it, and have done in the past

I asked someone once if they wanted a poo bag to clear up after their dog and was NOT prepared for the tirade of abuse thrown at me! Sometimes it's just not worth risking your life these days - you never know what could happen I try to keep to myself - I hate confrontation!

Though some smart guy down the park tapped MY dog on the nose a few weeks back to try and get him to drop his ball - words were had!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Good question think some of may be a little worried at recent announcements and keeping quiet in case we get forcibly ignored.
My thoughts too. Proof that all that sort of stuff doesn't actually help in my view. All that long discussion about the now defunct new horrible feature did as far as I could see was to bring to light another 'horrible feature' that it seems most of us were not aware was being employed and most not happy about either. We'd still be in the dark if even more weapons to be used against members weren't being suggested!

Well I've done my bit today to add a few posts. But must say without Azz's stream of non stop questions the place was dead with hardly any new posts whenever I looked in (and I didn't realise AZZ's were in a new section anyway lol! I always just click ALL NEW POSTS so rarely notice which section they are in).

I have spoken sharply to other dog owners in the past. Mainly to make myself feel better as I got what I expected to get - either pathetic lame excuses or a stream of abuse! Unreasonable people don't react reasonably to reasonable suggestions!

And just as most people see criticism of their children as criticism of them so it seems it is the same with dogs. Except I'd say that most criticism where dogs are concerned is directed at and meant for the OWNER!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Usually I'll not say anything at all. This is because I'm American and it's extremely dangerous to mind other people's business. Like truly. Our murder rates and violent crime is sky high, lots of this due in part because people cannot mind their own business.

If I saw a dog being beaten or severely injured (have seen this before, many times) I'll still not usually say anything, unless I thought the dog was going to die etc. Might seem cowardly, but I just don't see the point in risking my life or safety.

Most of the people doing these things tend to be male, which as a woman... is danger within itself, and they also tend to be "gangsters" or stereotypical dangerous people by the looks of them.

Now I HAVE stepped into a man's face for cornering MY dog and also confronted a man who told me that "mutts are unpredictable" when his child wanted to pet my dog. When it comes to my dog, it's very different. Ill gladly throw myself in harms way most of the time.

With other people's dogs that I have no rights over, even if I can get the person to stop what they are doing temporarily, they will still take the dog away and the actions will continue. I don't see the point in risking my safety for something like that.

E-collars, prong collars, and shock collars are common here and I'd be out of breath if I wasted enough time to say something each time I saw one.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >