Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 09:51 PM
What a cracking fella. He's gorgeous! I'm ever so jealous

I was on a Shire once, at least I think he was a Shire...Surrey or Suffolk was involved in the breed name somewhere. The owner had two of them, brothers. Star and Jock. Star was the fellow I rode...he was gorgeous although bit of a stretch for my wee leggies to get up onto...

Both lads were big huge softies too. Would sell their souls for a polomint (admittedly they knew I usually kept a packet on me specifically for them).

Seems to me the bigger they are, the more gentle in nature they are likely to be.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 07:17 AM
He's a darling xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so glad you had a great time and the pictures are fabulous xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 12:17 PM
jealous much me nahhh he is stunning
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post

I was on a Shire once, at least I think he was a Shire...Surrey or Suffolk was involved in the breed name somewhere. The owner had two of them, brothers. Star and Jock. Star was the fellow I rode...he was gorgeous although bit of a stretch for my wee leggies to get up onto...

Both lads were big huge softies too. Would sell their souls for a polomint (admittedly they knew I usually kept a packet on me specifically for them).

Seems to me the bigger they are, the more gentle in nature they are likely to be.
That would be a Suffolk Punch
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Is Charlie one of the Clydesdales kept between Haddington and Bolton? I often admire them as I drive by
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That would be a Suffolk Punch
Oooh, that'd be it. Blooming big fellas, but soooo beautiful and soft lumps. Wonder if he still has them (ponders a wee bike run through to Evanton to have a look).
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Ohhh he wants to come with my (fat) barreled coblet! Dwarf me (at 5'2)and my poor boy!! Both in height and size haha!
It was hard enough for me to get on so you might need to invest in a step ladder if he came to you!

Originally Posted by lore View Post

I think that might be true for the most part! He's the softest thing I've ever ridden! But the other boy he lives with can be a bit tetchy... Not quite so much of a pushover!

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
He's a darling xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so glad you had a great time and the pictures are fabulous xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank youuuu!

Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
jealous much me nahhh he is stunning
Thank you! I had a fab time

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Is Charlie one of the Clydesdales kept between Haddington and Bolton? I often admire them as I drive by
Sometimes! They get moved around a lot! They're usually this side of the Tyne though, at Clerkington? The estate is over 35acres or something so you may well have spotted them

xoxox
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:23 AM
The shire horses are gorgeous gentle giants .It takes me back to the long gone days when the treat for me was riding to the stable on the back of a shire horse after it's long hard day in the haymaking field. Lovely photo's
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Oh love him Never actually ridden one of these, but my friend had one, she used to plod out on him for miles most days and I remember her saying once how she must have fallen asleep on him coz she didn't remember which way home she came lol!

Blimey, you could have a party up there couldn't you! but what about those legs wrapped around something as wide as him, bet they ached next day!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
The shire horses are gorgeous gentle giants .It takes me back to the long gone days when the treat for me was riding to the stable on the back of a shire horse after it's long hard day in the haymaking field. Lovely photo's
My Mum remembers that time. Grandad had a big shire called Star when she was growing up, she used to sit on him and ride him home from the hay too (apparently he was a gentle old soul as well).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >