Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would think if a very young pup had HD it would be showing obvious signs.
Depending on the severity of HD it maybe a slow process of diagnoses.

Bandit has HD, with hinesight, he has had it for many yrs....but was only diagnosed with it about 5 yrs ago.

Mild cases will be a gradual process, sever cases will be able to be diagnosed much earlier.

We can not second guess whether a dog or puppies suffer from HD, only investigation (xrays) will show it up for certain.
Was he ever used as stud,xxxxxxxxxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
If you thought that was bad,I walk dogs as you know and you come across loads of dog owners as you go about your rounds.Well I met a young girl out with a Rott bitch,the dog had a lovely nature and all she wanted to do was play with all the dogs but as soon as she started to run it was very obvious she had HD.Of course as you do I asked her all about her,she had her in to the vets to have her hip scored and the hip scores were really bad.The girl was told by the vet to wait a while and have them done again.She was intending to breed from the bitch which horrified me well and truly,anyway I gave her a lecture which I'm sure her vet should have done re breeding from a dog with HD.Her reason for breeding was she wanted a puppy from her to keep herself.xxxxxx
The girl ZB and I know off bred her bitch three times now , And the dogs hip had to be pinned it was so bad , And her excuse is its easy money Her dogs aint kc either so she sells the pups at £250
We reported her to the R,S,P,CA who said they cannot remove the dogs as they have food an shelter ,There was a coal bucket in the yard with some scrapes of meal in it , For two adult dogs and puppies to eat from and as for shelter its a metal build run, with a badly built kennel in it, the floor of the run is just a mucky piece of ground ,And the dogs stand in there own faeces all day long , I have reported her on numerous occasions and so has ZB , xxdk
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
The girl ZB and I know off bred her bitch three times now , And the dogs hip had to be pinned it was so bad , And her excuse is its easy money Her dogs aint kc either so she sells the pups at £250
We reported her to the R,S,P,CA who said they cannot remove the dogs as they have food an shelter ,There was a coal bucket in the yard with some scrapes of meal in it , For two adult dogs and puppies to eat from and as for shelter its a metal build run, with a badly built kennel in it, the floor of the run is just a mucky piece of ground ,And the dogs stand in there own faeces all day long , I have reported her on numerous occasions and so has ZB , xxdk
Thats shocking to say the least,the girl I was talking to said the breeder who bred her bitch has carried on and bred again from the bitches mother too,xxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
HD is not always easily seen and often mistaken for other conditions !

Some dogs with severe HD and very high hip scores have been known to have no obvious signs at all and still take part in many activities.

Bunny hopping can also simply be looseness of back legs, leg cramping, muscle development and balance, so don't think it's automatically HD, because many times it isn't
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I'd never breed in the first place without hip scoring and anyone who doesn't is nuts,imo,xxxxxx
The trouble is many breeds are not required to be Hip Scored.... Boxers being one of them.

Boxer in the US are hip scored, but in the UK it is not a health requirment.

I wonder how many other breeds that dont require Hip Scoring, sufer with HD.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
HD is not always easily seen and often mistaken for other conditions !

Some dogs with severe HD and very high hip scores have been known to have no obvious signs at all and still take part in many activities.

Bunny hopping can also simply be looseness of back legs, leg cramping, muscle development and balance, so don't think it's automatically HD, because many times it isn't
Good point.

The only way to diagnose HD is by xraying the hips.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
The trouble is many breeds are not required to be Hip Scored.... Boxers being one of them.

So it would really only be breeders who are really responsible and want to do the right thing by their breed who hip score their boxers then,xxxxxxxxxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Very interesting thought there Jackie , It in my opion should be made compulsary for all breeds to be hip scored ,
I have my girls hips checked and x rayed regularly for my own peace of mind as i would hate to think they would suffer from something but then im a born worrier
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Not all puppies show sign's or let's say lot's of people don't reconise them.
However if they are reconised even if it only turn's out to be loose hips etc I praise those who welcome the problem and get the puppy checked out.
I get the vet to check my babies and the dog's I keep and kept 3 last year and they get a check up every 6 months and wether or not they get a x-ray depends on the vet's finding's.
Having said that my old boy is 9 and very stiff on his back leg's we had him x-rayed and no obvious finding showed up, we put it down to old age and just give him missing link.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Very interesting thought there Jackie , It in my opion should be made compulsary for all breeds to be hip scored ,
I have my girls hips checked and x rayed regualarly just for my own peace of mind as i would hate to think they would suffer from something but then im a born worrier
Good point there dk,it wouldn't do any harm to do so would it,xxxxxxxxx
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »