View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Diesel my Staffie has a tendency towards being a skinnie minnie, at times you can not only see his ribs and spine but his waist is far too defined. He eats like a horse although he is always on the go, so as giving him more really isn't an option I divided the same amount into several meals and gave tripe every day and he soon bulked up to a decent size, you can certainly feel his ribs but can not longer play a tune on them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Just because overweight dogs are common, doesn't mean your dog needs its life shortened too.
Do you know, I am sure Labman does not read the same threads as rest of us,

If those in your breed think he needs gain a bit , then take advice from them,
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Diesel my Staffie has a tendency towards being a skinnie minnie, at times you can not only see his ribs and spine but his waist is far too defined. He eats like a horse although he is always on the go, so as giving him more really isn't an option I divided the same amount into several meals and gave tripe every day and he soon bulked up to a decent size, you can certainly feel his ribs but can not longer play a tune on them.
Blu is like that with his spine as soon as the water hits him. I suppose that's the 'problem' with a show coat because you can't go on looks alone what their weight is like. Where can I buy tripe apart from the stuff in the tinned food?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you know, I am sure Labman does not read the same threads as rest of us,
Maybe it's us that read the wrong threads
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Pets at home sell it in the freezer section, I get the chunks rather than the mince.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Pets at home sell it in the freezer section, I get the chunks rather than the mince.
Sorry to be a pain lol.. But do you feed it raw or cooked? Might pop out later and get some if mum hasn't used up all the petrol in the car!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Pets at home do frozen tripe - chunks or minced blocks. If you get the chunkks then you dont even have to defrost - so no stink
I sort of agree withwhat Labman is saying tho (shock I know) Many people - even show people are used to a dog carrying a bit of weight
As I posted on the other thread you should be able to feel the dogs spine, ribs and hips. Spine should feel like your knuckles when you make a fist ribs like the tops of your fingers when your hand is flat - just a small covering of fat

we cant see what your dog is like so its up to you, ignorinng everyone else do YOU feel he needs to put more weight on??

Tripe is really good for them anyway and I am sure he will love it
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Pets at home do frozen tripe - chunks or minced blocks. If you get the chunkks then you dont even have to defrost - so no stink
I sort of agree withwhat Labman is saying tho (shock I know) Many people - even show people are used to a dog carrying a bit of weight
As I posted on the other thread you should be able to feel the dogs spine, ribs and hips. Spine should feel like your knuckles when you make a fist ribs like the tops of your fingers when your hand is flat - just a small covering of fat

we cant see what your dog is like so its up to you, ignorinng everyone else do YOU feel he needs to put more weight on??

Tripe is really good for them anyway and I am sure he will love it
I've been thinking to myself what would he look like if he was in a pet trim.. And I would say underweight most likely. I would say he does need to put on a small amount of weight because his bum is just bone and no fat really. I'll get a picture of him when he's just had a bath on Friday.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Thats cool then - if you are happy he needs more weight then he does

and yup just feed the tripe raw - better for them that way - and better for you - less stinky!
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Phoned the local pet shop and they have it in so mums going to pick it up for me on her way home. Cheeko used to get frozen food and I'm sure it was tripe but we cooked it.. One day I was off school with a really bad stomach and being sick all the time but mum made a huge batch of his food Never again!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Yep feed it raw straight from the pack. Still makes your hands stink but I can only imagine the stink it would create if you cooked it.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >