Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
OK, I'll bite

Firstly I think we have to note that at least some of the people he works with are desperate and have tried many other trainers or methods, with no improvement. If it's a choice between a dog being PTS and Cesar Milan, I vote for the latter.

He seems to help some people and some dogs, I don't doubt that.

But...

I dislike some of his methods
- alpha roll
- kicking
- the hand jabbing or as he calls it 'biting'

Also a big problem is the sheer number of people who now call themselves 'dog whisperers' and charge astonishing fees simply to then copy Mr Milan.

I myself encountered one such trainer two weeks after adopting Dexter. He was recommended to me by the rescue group via which I found Dexter. This particular trainer declared my dog 'dominant' literally within minutes of meeting him - absurd as he is not!

Some of his advice did help - I acknowledge that. But ultimately he didn't help the bigger problems and so months later, after struggling a lot, I had to find another, far more experienced trainer.

I've seen dog walkers in my area imitate Cesar Milan with the hand jabs - the poor dogs!!
...oh thats the patter of a certain 'dog training torture implement '
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2011, 12:02 AM
i did not know about him using [mod edit see below] and im very against them. i do agree with certain methods he uses though. he does seem to relax with his presence (maybe its only what you see on tv) but it works.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:22 AM
It also depends how you view it. See to me he does far from relax dogs.. He scares them and they show fear towards him.

Yes you will always only see the good bits on TV not the bits before, inbetween, and the damage after !!

-------------------
Here is one episode where he used a shock collar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3ve9sWslI
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Watch the videos with the sound off look closely at the dogs body language, and i can guarantee you will see fear, not relaxation
The man is a menace to the World of dogs...........and that is a sentiment shared by most of the members on here

I will say no more..........

Jann xx
shaunclemens
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Watch the videos with the sound off look closely at the dogs body language, and i can guarantee you will see fear, not relaxation
The man is a menace to the World of dogs...........and that is a sentiment shared by most of the members on here

I will say no more..........

Jann xx
they get scared BUT its only for a minute and then they show respect. i was watching programme last night and the way he got a dog agressive dog to walk through a pack of dogs that were unleashed i thought was remarkable.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
No hun, that method is called "flooding" The dog is so overwhelmed with fear that it shuts down.
Like i said before, watch with the volume off so you can't be swayed by all his verbal rubbish, and watch the body language of the dog. Do you honestly think that jerking them around on a prong collar/choke chain, poking them with fingers etc etc etc is relaxing and calming for the dog?
If you had a fear of something (and i mean a real phobia) of say snakes, would it be relaxing for you to be forced to walk through a pit of them?? That is in effect what he makes fearful dogs do There are better, kinder ways to earn respect.

Jann xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by shaunclemens View Post
they get scared BUT its only for a minute and then they show respect. i was watching programme last night and the way he got a dog agressive dog to walk through a pack of dogs that were unleashed i thought was remarkable.
Respect is something that has to be earned, not a right to be conferred on someone just because they're a member of the human race!

Also be aware that what you see on a highly edited TV programme is only what the producers want you to see, & even then, as others have said, what they tell you you're seeing is very often not what is really happening at all!!

The most respected dog behaviourists & trainers across the world have spoken out against CM & his methods & I understand that Italy even refused to allow his "show" to tour in that country. Shame on the UK that we allowed him to tour here!

As a taster of the views on CM, have a read of this letter from June 2009 from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour:

American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
www.AVSABonline.org
June 11, 2009
The executive board of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) is deeply troubled to learn that Merial, a leader in the veterinary healthcare industry, is using Cesar Millan in a promotional campaign for Heartgard and Frontline. We are even more disturbed to find that Merial is cross-promoting Mr. Millan's behavior video as part of this campaign. Merial's executives may not be aware of the fact that the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB; www.dacvb.org), the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB; www.avsabonline.org) and the Society of Veterinary Behavior Technicians (SVBT; www.svbt.org) have uniformly spoken out against the coercive, “dominance”-based techniques employed by Mr. Millan on his television show "The Dog Whisperer." At best, the show is entertaining but misleading to pet owners. At worst, Mr.
Millan's techniques and misinformation have contributed to increased aggression and anxiety or resulted in physical injury to the pet and/or pet owner. As practicing veterinarians, we all unfortunately have seen many cases of the latter. Merial claims to "enhance the health, well-being, and performance of animals.” Asking veterinarians to recommend that their clients seek behavior information
from Mr. Millan speaks otherwise. In these difficult economic times, it may be understandable that Merial would want to use a celebrity to advertise its products
in a direct-to-consumer fashion. However, had Merial taken the time to investigate, it would have found that Mr. Millan's philosophy runs counter to the standard-of-care promoted by veterinary behaviorists and taught at veterinary schools. For reference, we have attached AVSAB’s position statements on the “Use of Punishment in Behavior Modification in Animals” and “Dominance Theory in
Behavior Modification in Animals”. You will find that these statements are based in scientific research and do not support the techniques Mr. Millan promotes on his show. We would also be happy to provide you with additional peer-reviewed references indicating that the training methods televised on “The Dog Whisperer” often lead to increased aggression and human injury. American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior www.AVSABonline.org
We are deeply saddened that Merial's executives are not more supportive of the veterinary behavior community and its efforts to promote effective, scientifically based,
humane training methods. We remain concerned that your company's support of Mr. Millan’s controversial training methods through the distribution of his video and financial support of his show will contribute to the number of difficult dogs and injured owners that we have to eventually console, counsel, and reeducate. Perhaps Merial would like to support our efforts to counteract the negative impact of this unfortunate marketing choice that may ultimately serve to alienate educated veterinarians, dog trainers, and owners alike. We would welcome the
opportunity to further discuss this issue with Merial.

Sincerely,
E. Kathryn Meyer, VMD (President)
John Ciribassi, DVM, DACVB (Immediate Past President)
Karen Sueda, DVM, DACVB (President Elect)
Kari Krause, DVM
Kelly Morgan, DVM
Valli Parthasarathy, PhD, DVM
Sophia Yin, DVM MS
Laurie Bergman, VMD, DACVB
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
...oh thats the patter of a certain 'dog training torture implement '

I certainly don't support the use of said 'implement'.

However, guess I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of *some* dog owners who are literally ready to have their dog PTS.

Then Cesar arrives and promises he can help and as they don't want to lose their dog, one can start to understand that through sheer desperation they will try anything.

I am not condoning this - just trying to understand how it is that some of the more desperate clients of Milan's agree to this 'implement'.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
1st about spelling i apologise but im dyslexic.

and ill check other links out thanks
Not a problem....I prefer your version
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
i did not know about him using [mod edit see below] and im very against them. i do agree with certain methods he uses though. he does seem to relax with his presence (maybe its only what you see on tv) but it works.
Relax - no, not IMO.

Shut down.....
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >