View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:14 PM
ok, that's what we did... bought the dogs (one of which was for sale at a butcher's shop in Asia... that really was a "no discussion necessary" situation)... both dogs lived happily in our own loving home and died of old age, one at 13, one at 14.... both were complete mutts but the best dogs ever!!!!

but now, bringing it into the present.....

when we (my husband and I) decided that the time was finally right (we had been thinking of this for a very long time, we both really wanted a BC) for our family (two kids, now 8 and 10 years old) to get a BC pup... we started searching.... we found
a) a number of official and wonderfully acclaimed BC breeders who unfortunately had no pups at the moment and no plans for a litter any time this year, but.. given enough potential owners on their waiting list, their minds may be swayed to breed a litter sooner...
b) a few one-time breeders (also genetically tested and found perfectly fine for breeding) who's pups had already been born and needed new homes

what would you choose?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Difficult choice, but I would walk away!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I would report to the SSPCA
I wouldnt buy the pup but I would offer to take it off his hands
Sounds like a puppy farmer and although I would hate the thought of the poor wee puppy suffering if I paid a large amount of money for it then I would be encouraging the man that he could continue making lots of money from poor puppies
ok, fair enough, and a report to the sspca is of course one of the first things you'll do... but what if that man refuses to give you the pup as he knows some other person out there (see above posts, including mine) is going to pay... what do you do then... knowing you can give it a loving forever home.... once again... this is purely hypothetical and very much my attempt to see where we all draw the line (there, now I've given myself away....)... once you've seen the puppy..... can you really walk away?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Nope.........sorry, but I couldn't
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
ok, fair enough, and a report to the sspca is of course one of the first things you'll do... but what if that man refuses to give you the pup as he knows some other person out there (see above posts, including mine) is going to pay... what do you do then... knowing you can give it a loving forever home.... once again... this is purely hypothetical and very much my attempt to see where we all draw the line (there, now I've given myself away....)... once you've seen the puppy..... can you really walk away?
I know what you are saying, and it is difficult
But what about those cute puppies in the pet shop?? I have seen them and walked away - after giving the shop owners a peice of my mind loudly enough for everyone in the shop to know my reasons

I have no problems that you took the pup, I totaly understand
Their was a guy in the park last year selling a litter his bitch had accidentaly bred
Someone actually stole one of his pups. I suggested he took them to the rehoming centre so they could get a chance at a good home
Did I feel bad about the pups - yup, but I would have felt worse if in 6 months time he was there with another litter
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I would buy the pup.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 05:24 AM
I understand the tug of the heart when faced with this dilemma but by buying this pup you are rewarding this vile trade and encouraging it to continue . Yes you may have saved the pup but it's mum ? - it's siblings - the generations of pups yet to be born ? - it's no use wringing our hands over the rescue problem yet refusing to draw a line at the point of purchase.

The solution is clear - ONLY buy from ethical responsible breeders - this puppy is very likely to have originated from a dank hell hole in Wales where it's mum continues to churn out pup after pup - it was probably transported along with many others to this middle man who relies on the compassion of folk like yourselves to obtain a sale - we MUST stop the cycle by refusing to play the game - if nobody bought then there would be no profit for these b******ds and they would simply stop.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
I understand the tug of the heart when faced with this dilemma but by buying this pup you are rewarding this vile trade and encouraging it to continue . Yes you may have saved the pup but it's mum ? - it's siblings - the generations of pups yet to be born ? - it's no use wringing our hands over the rescue problem yet refusing to draw a line at the point of purchase.

The solution is clear - ONLY buy from ethical responsible breeders - this puppy is very likely to have originated from a dank hell hole in Wales where it's mum continues to churn out pup after pup - it was probably transported along with many others to this middle man who relies on the compassion of folk like yourselves to obtain a sale - we MUST stop the cycle by refusing to play the game - if nobody bought then there would be no profit for these b******ds and they would simply stop.
I agree with what you are saying but i still don't think i could walk away ! - i'm a bit of a wuss like that
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
ok, that's what we did... bought the dogs (one of which was for sale at a butcher's shop in Asia... that really was a "no discussion necessary" situation)... both dogs lived happily in our own loving home and died of old age, one at 13, one at 14.... both were complete mutts but the best dogs ever!!!!

but now, bringing it into the present.....

when we (my husband and I) decided that the time was finally right (we had been thinking of this for a very long time, we both really wanted a BC) for our family (two kids, now 8 and 10 years old) to get a BC pup... we started searching.... we found
a) a number of official and wonderfully acclaimed BC breeders who unfortunately had no pups at the moment and no plans for a litter any time this year, but.. given enough potential owners on their waiting list, their minds may be swayed to breed a litter sooner...
b) a few one-time breeders (also genetically tested and found perfectly fine for breeding) who's pups had already been born and needed new homes

what would you choose?
In your position I think it would depend on how "instantly" you wanted a pup or whether you would be happy to wait a year or more. It would also depend on how much you trusted these one-time breeders.

However having had such lovely rescue mutts before & describing them as "the best dogs ever!!!" what about giving some other rescue dogs such a lovely home with you & your family ?
babybingo
New Member!
Male 

30-04-2010, 08:36 AM
i would buy the dog, then give the nasty puppy breeder a piece of my mind!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >