Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 09:13 AM
hi shadow

I think if you can get ,3,5,and 6 working great then go for it - if nothing else it will give you a fairly sensible little doglet when out walking. My staff is 4 and we arent close to having 3,5 & 6 being done - however he started at 2 with no training so in the long run we are improving !!

I do agree with Kazz in that you may still end up with a staff who isnt overly keen on dogs but I do think the classes are a good idea for you and her. It will allow you the confidence to know that with recall etc she responds with dogs around etc. Again however I would advise going tothe class without your dog first to see if it suits you and your dog.

Some classes still dont take staffies or dont like having them - so its better to check and make sure that the training methods are suitable too
Hope this helps
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Finn has done all of these things as his training classes cover them so you can sit the KC awards if you want and they do pick it up quickly. Although he needs to practise more to be able to sit his test

Shadow sounds like Finn great with other dogs but too bouncy I would go for it and enjoy the classes and if you are ready at the end sit the award fail or not you have had lots of fun doing it and your dog has learned new things along the way.

Our classes take staffies, as there was a gorgeous little puppy in the class below us
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
Finn has done all of these things as his training classes cover them so you can sit the KC awards if you want and they do pick it up quickly. Although he needs to practise more to be able to sit his test

Shadow sounds like Finn great with other dogs but too bouncy I would go for it and enjoy the classes and if you are ready at the end sit the award fail or not you have had lots of fun doing it and your dog has learned new things along the way.

Our classes take staffies, as there was a gorgeous little puppy in the class below us
thats exactly what shadow does when she meets new dogs, bounces, maybe i should have called her TIGGER.

i spoke the the lady who runs the course, i didnt realsie each session is 2hrs long!! they said they usually have between 8-10 dogs but sometimes as many as 20. hope theres not that many. she also said they cover additional stuff aswell as the kc stuff fot the award. Sounds really good. £25 for 20hrs of training, not bad. Doesnt start til next week thou.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 03:40 PM
That seems very reasonable!!

The classes are have been looking at are £60 for 10 weeks.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by shadow_the_staff
Other staff owners, do you think im wose taking her to this class? I've heard nothing but good things about the class, and Im a bit stuck on a few training things, as I said earlier "stay" is one, plus "heel", and recall also. Shaodow isnt great on the lead, she pulls a lot, and I was hoping this class would help me too. It’s the Kennel Club Good Dog Citizen scheme, the bronze award, the training is as follows:Has any one done this award?
Hi Shadowstaff,

I am a fellow Staffie owner I have two Staffs mine are Sal 3 and a bit and Tess 19 months, half sister both bitches.

And I say "Who cares what other Staff owners say"

If it helps you and your dog then do it if it helped any of mine I would go to the classs wearing a Donald Duck outfit. I am trying to say it doesn't matter what others think she's your dog and you are doing your best for her thats all that matters, it should be enough for ANY sensible Staffie/dog owner. If it ain't ignore 'em.

And Yes as it happens Sal has done the bronze KCGC and the Silver KCGC and we are working towards the Gold - well when I get my act together Tess the pup has completed and passed the Bronze and is working towards the silver, and I think she will sail through - but time is on my side and yours there is no age limit. for dog or human.

Sal also is a registered PAT dog visiting hospices. Tess will get there eventually once I stop her from kissing everyone in the World within an inch of their life. But hey she's friendly and slowly growing up. If I or you had wanted a "none nutty" dog we would not have chosen Staffs would we.

Staffs have a love of life and people thats full on and thats what makes them special. But you can train them they are clever dogs all they need to know is what you want. And as Shadow has an owner who loves them for what they are, special.

The thing to remember is Staffs stand out so a BC in the park playing up no one notices a Staffie in the park playing up the World and his dog notice.

But I've found a smile to others and putting the leads back on for your dogs first encounter with other dogs goes a long way to people accepting you as a sensible owner.
I may err on the side of caution, but by the same token in the park oddly enough it seems to be me and my two people will accompamy on walks or are "advised by other dog walkers to walk with" when they have a new pup or nervous dog. So we must be doing something right.

Take care you will get there you obviously care a great deal about Shadow and want whats best and you will get there.

Take care Karen
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz
Hi Shadowstaff,

I am a fellow Staffie owner I have two Staffs mine are Sal 3 and a bit and Tess 19 months, half sister both bitches.

And I say "Who cares what other Staff owners say"

If it helps you and your dog then do it if it helped any of mine I would go to the classs wearing a Donald Duck outfit. I am trying to say it doesn't matter what others think she's your dog and you are doing your best for her thats all that matters, it should be enough for ANY sensible Staffie/dog owner. If it ain't ignore 'em.

And Yes as it happens Sal has done the bronze KCGC and the Silver KCGC and we are working towards the Gold - well when I get my act together Tess the pup has completed and passed the Bronze and is working towards the silver, and I think she will sail through - but time is on my side and yours there is no age limit. for dog or human.

Sal also is a registered PAT dog visiting hospices. Tess will get there eventually once I stop her from kissing everyone in the World within an inch of their life. But hey she's friendly and slowly growing up. If I or you had wanted a "none nutty" dog we would not have chosen Staffs would we.

Staffs have a love of life and people thats full on and thats what makes them special. But you can train them they are clever dogs all they need to know is what you want. And as Shadow has an owner who loves them for what they are, special.

The thing to remember is Staffs stand out so a BC in the park playing up no one notices a Staffie in the park playing up the World and his dog notice.

But I've found a smile to others and putting the leads back on for your dogs first encounter with other dogs goes a long way to people accepting you as a sensible owner.
I may err on the side of caution, but by the same token in the park oddly enough it seems to be me and my two people will accompamy on walks or are "advised by other dog walkers to walk with" when they have a new pup or nervous dog. So we must be doing something right.

Take care you will get there you obviously care a great deal about Shadow and want whats best and you will get there.

Take care Karen
Thanks Karen, you've made me feel better, I am going to take shadow to the class, and im actually looking forward to it.

I'll give u all a progress report once we start.

Thanks
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
I am pleased its made you feel better, thats the idea of dogweb to help people.

An update would be brilliant please I always love knowing what other Staffies on the board are doing! ask any of the other Staffie people on here Im nosey.

Take care and above all enjoy, Karen
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2