View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-05-2006, 05:55 PM
If the PC was on when the powercut occurred, there's a possibility that some of the Windows System files or essential drivers were corrupted. Have you tried returning it back to the original 'factory settings' ?
Lozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
thatīs a good sign are you having that problem with your laptop ?

Nope not at all the laptops fine thank god

x
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Right just tried the F8 thing but it didn't bring Safe mode up it brought 3 items up - think the 2nd was Cdrom and the third was Realtrek agent or something - it didnt say safe mode anywhere. I have noticed there's a strange 'blobbing' sound coming out of the speakers just before it goes off as if the electic is coming and going or something - I know that sounds daft but it sounds like something being plugged out.

its def psu then.

as ian says really.

i will find you a decent cheap one that will do the job.

it pays to pay slightly extra for a decent one trust me.

but is def psu.lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2006, 06:28 PM
ok, struggling really.lol

but you want an enermax one really.

around 30 - 40 quid.

may seem steep but alot of the sub 20 ones, esp own brand ones fail within 6 months and enermaxs never fail, i have never known one to break.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
does a blue screen come up in the middle and says your computer is shutting down ? or does it say nothing

No it just makes this sort of blobbing sound on the speakers and then cuts right out Fred - it doesn't say the computer is shutting down.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
its def psu then.

as ian says really.

i will find you a decent cheap one that will do the job.

it pays to pay slightly extra for a decent one trust me.

but is def psu.lol

Thanks Ceiron for all your help My oh knows someone who works for Ntl and he is brilliant with computers - he is mending the old one at the moment so I think we might just drop it off with him and let him have a look at it.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by royv
If the PC was on when the powercut occurred, there's a possibility that some of the Windows System files or essential drivers were corrupted. Have you tried returning it back to the original 'factory settings' ?

Yes I was thinking of doing that Roy but it won't stay on long enough to allow me to do it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Hi,
It is your PSU - power supply unit, I have just replaced a one for a friend of mine, It only cost about Ģ15. But check first what the wattage rating is on yours before you go and buy a one. They are relatively easy to replace, four screws and it's out, apart from a few plugs etc that can only be fit together one way.

Ian
Hiya Ian. Thanks for that I was wondering can you give us a bit more info like step by step what to do because we haven't a clue what's inside the computer. Would we be able to get the current psu out of it and say take it in to PC World to make sure its the right one?

I have found the receipt and it was out of its 12 month guarantee on the 26th March this year - about the time it probably started going wrong
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hiya Ian. Thanks for that I was wondering can you give us a bit more info like step by step what to do because we haven't a clue what's inside the computer. Would we be able to get the current psu out of it and say take it in to PC World to make sure its the right one?

I have found the receipt and it was out of its 12 month guarantee on the 26th March this year - about the time it probably started going wrong

no offence here ut im gonna be honest.

siad same thing here but you didnt ask me, u prolly know ian longer but this is linda why i dont liek posting online coz i psot then i jsut get overlooked.

what i ment in that other psot about posting.

dont want to moan but ya know its just hard.

sorry

will go and sit in my corner again now
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
no offence here ut im gonna be honest.

siad same thing here but you didnt ask me, u prolly know ian longer but this is linda why i dont liek posting online coz i psot then i jsut get overlooked.

what i ment in that other psot about posting.

dont want to moan but ya know its just hard.

sorry

will go and sit in my corner again now
Awww Ceiron, I'm really really sorry - yes you did mention the psu in your first post to me didn't you. I just forgot cos I am at that awful age where my memory is a blank most of the time I did answer that post though and thank you. I am really sorry though and didn't mean to overlook you

I think it was with Ian saying its simple to do that made me think we might be able to have a go at it ourselves although we are not really computer minded - I have never seen inside a computer before.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >