Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Re featuring rescue dogs.

I know the dog whisperer show has many faults and that cm is not the most popular guy in the 'educated' dog world, but the whole show is pretty much about rescuing dogs.

You may hate the man but he has probably done more for rescue dogs- by broadcasting their plight in to millions of homes all over the world, than everyone else combined.

Maybe that can make up for preaching an old fashioned philosophy.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 09:12 AM
The only problem I see with these movies and adverts with dogs (excluding Marley and me!!) Lassie, Grayfriars Bobby etc is that people think their dogs come 'ready trained' that and the general throw away culture means some people - obviously not all or we wouldn't be here - if the dog doesn't breed well or doesn't look like they want it to, not chew the house up then they just get rid and get another.

I see dogs like kids - there's very few born 'bad' it's the way you raise them but it takes a lot of time and hard work as we all know to get a 'good' dog. People just can't be bothered
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
The only problem I see with these movies and adverts with dogs (excluding Marley and me!!) Lassie, Grayfriars Bobby etc is that people think their dogs come 'ready trained' that and the general throw away culture means some people - obviously not all or we wouldn't be here - if the dog doesn't breed well or doesn't look like they want it to, not chew the house up then they just get rid and get another.
:
I do not know if you have seen the TV show Entourage, but in that they have a massive Rottweiler who calmly sits on the sofa regardless of what is going on around him. Not only do they never walk it or do anything with it for that matter, when they got it, it was already like that! There are bound to be people thinking - oh I will get one of them, they are just like cats!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Flipping big cat Bangkaew - if I saw one that size on my settee I'd run a mile
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
But he's not entirely correct. In recent years we've had Marley & Me - the book was amazingly popular and the film also. Result? More people getting Labs and then finding that actually, it's not that amusing when the dog destroys your home and eats anything it can get its paws on - more and more Labs ending up in rescue...

What evidence is there that more people got labs?

When did the film come out? What were the registration numbers for labradors before and after this film?

There has also been Hatchi - again a very popular film. Result? Probably more people getting Akitas, some of them then finding they could not cope with such a large, powerful, independent-natured dog. Possibly more Akitas thus ending up in rescue

Again, is there any evidence that this film triggered an increase in registrations and those in rescue?

I think it's always good when there are films showing dogs, yes. But I would like to see more about rescue dogs.

Also, it's not that people are not 'into dogs' - I read the other day that in the UK something like 70% of people have dogs. It's more that far too many people are then happy to get rid of the dog when they start families/change jobs/move abroad etc etc.
Many dogs that star in films/TV and adverts ARE rescue dogs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Labrador stats from KC for last 6 years

Was at the Number 1 spot for all years since 2005

05 45,779
06 45, 700
07 45.079
08 45,233
09 40, 943
10 44,099

Marley and Me came out 2008?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 01:34 PM
SMOKEY BEAR:

I simply recall reading an article in which several dog rescues suggested Labs had grown in popularity following 'Marley & Me'.

The KC figures don't tell the whole story though, because yes while they say Labs were very popular before 'Marley & Me', they cannot show whether following the film, more people perhaps got Labs from puppy farms and backyard breeders. So it is entirely possible the film did have an influence.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
SMOKEY BEAR:.

The KC figures don't tell the whole story though, because yes while they say Labs were very popular before 'Marley & Me', they cannot show whether following the film, more people perhaps got Labs from puppy farms and backyard breeders. So it is entirely possible the film did have an influence.

Of course, however nobody I know can "measure" "invisible" figures!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I do not know if you have seen the TV show Entourage, but in that they have a massive Rottweiler who calmly sits on the sofa regardless of what is going on around him. Not only do they never walk it or do anything with it for that matter, when they got it, it was already like that! There are bound to be people thinking - oh I will get one of them, they are just like cats!

Was there an uplift in Rottweiler registrations following The Omen?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Was there an uplift in Rottweiler registrations following The Omen?
What about St Bernards and Cujo...:P
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >