View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:30 AM
also is he physically punishing her for this behaviour (not just a tap)? as this might make it worse? the growling etc...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Personally I have never seen a 7 week old do anything but play bite I'm pretty sure they don't real aggresion at that age unless provoked or really frightened.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by derbyrottie
also is he physically punishing her for this behaviour (not just a tap)? as this might make it worse? the growling etc...
Nothing physical from what i have seen normally just tells her no but it doesnt seem to work at all, i think he should wait it out and hope she stops as she gets older....im not sure about the fear from what i did and what i saw him do i dont think theyre was anything 2suggest to her that she has a reason to fear or be scared. i posted this on a diff MB and they suggested a nylon muzzle thats 2extreme i think shes only a pup
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 11:46 AM
With play biting we have always made a squeal like we are hurt and reoved the hand etc from the pups range it has only taken a few squealing incidents for the pup to know it hurts and not to do it.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Going back a long time (about 25 years ago now), my sister had a Norwiegan Elkhound that she used to put in the back garden on a running lead attached to the washing line. This pup was only about 9 weeks old and she was unclipping its lead to bring it back in again and it bit her hand and made it bleed and it wasn't playbiting. The dog grew into adulthood but could never be trusted totally and it seemed to totally dislike some people. One day my nephew was playing with his toy cars and one went under the table. He put his hand under the table to get the car and the dog went for him and bit his hand quite badly. She had to have the dog put to sleep on advise from the vet

A few weeks ago a young lad was stood in the foyer at our local Tesco store with a little Yorkie puppy who was about 12-14 weeks old and it was growling and threatening to snap at anybody that went near it
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 12:37 PM
as far as i have read, dogs dont get real aggression until they are much older than that.
by what u have described it sounds like the pup is just play biting.
when indie was this age she could quite easily pierce our skin with her little needle teeth
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Finn was play biting when he was 8 weeks and it hurt. He used to grip onto your hand and bite down as hard as he could then he would not let go. Once they learn bite inhibition it stops.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi Abbas As some of the others say puppies are taught to inhibit their bites by their mother and litter mates, they learn what hurts and what does not when playing, they also learn submission from their mothers ..that is one reason puppies should not be removed from the litter before six weeks old at the earliest.
It is normal for all puppies to mouth, by the time they go to a home they should as a rule have learnt to control their bite, this pup has not because it was removed to soon so did not get a chance to learn . The method I normally use when training puppies is to remove my hand and say ouch in a cross voice if a puppy nips hard ,then fold my arms and walk away ignoring the puppy for a few moments ...game over...no eye contact . You can also substitute a toy for your hand. Do not tap the puppy on the nose, you will only perpetuate the behaviour and turn it into a game so rewarding the bad behaviour. The people need to be consistant in this and to stop giving the puppy attention every time it happens .
(sorry rushing to post this hope I have not missed anything out )
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Abbas.

This all sounds perfectly normal to me!
I have memories of raw, scabby hands where my little sweetie ( ) was play biting with me. We got through a lot of savlon in those days. He is as soft as butter now (8 months).

This is just what puppies do and it is perfectly NORMAL and a GOOD thing. Honest - I know it doesn't seem so at the time as they have needle sharp teeth. This is what happens when they are with their siblings and they learn bite inhibition. No siblings, therefore it's up to the new family to teach bite inhibition.

I agree with Mini's suggestions and this is precisely what I did. For small indiscretions a loud, "ouch" works wonders. If it doesn't stop there, you can increase the volume of the "ouch" and glare at the pup. This is what siblings and the mother do when the pub bites them - other ways - stop the game, squeel, walk away, turn your back on them for a short time. They hate you to walk away and ignore them.

I found with Loki that this wasn't always enough and he'd sometimes get really carried away so I would remove him from the room or walk away myself into another room for a short time, before making friends and starting again.

But remember, pups don't hold grudges like humans - we get cross and are tempted to ignore the dog for a long time but he doesn't understand that so the ignoring/exclusion only needs to be for a short time and it is effective.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Maddy (8 weeks old) nips and chews ...fingers, trousers ..anything We just say no and remove it from the item and try to give her something that she is allowed to chew
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >