View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2007, 07:56 AM
When I chose Amy it was at 6 weeks, I had been able to view the litter a couple of times previously because the breeder lived locally but I waited to make my choice

With Millie I saw lots of photographs but because she was a long way away I couldn't get to see her. I chose her at 8 weeks (she was eye tested at 6) , that for me is a good age to choose because you get some idea of temperament with a slightly older pup (the whole litter was pretty even in looks/size but the tails differed,because docking is no longer allowed there seems to be a variety of tail types ).

I have to keep in mind the fact that any dog I have will be coming to work with me, so I don't go for the most excitable puppy or any that seems to alloof, my aim is for a friendly easy going puppy which I hope Millie will be .

Good luck with your choice Tee
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Ziggie at three weeks as we had to fit in around lambing - he was the one who didn't attack the fridge!

Felix just arrived at 6 weeks, I didn't pick from the litter but saw his photo and fell head over feet, met him a couple of days later and was smitten.

Indy I chose at just a few hours old, I wanted a black and white bitch and there was only one! I had enough faith in the breeder to know all the pups would be good.

Nushka was from the first litter my OH bred and so was kept, good choice!

Darcy was 6 weeks and a total clown.

Trio was the merle I had booked before I fell on my feet with Felix. I new these would be a good litter, and OH was looking for another dog so gragged her along and home came this lovely chilled chunky boy.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2007, 10:16 AM
We picked Star at 6 weeks old and with Finn he was 4 weeks old
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I chose Inga at 6 weeks, I had been looking at the litter since birth and had my eye on an other puppy, on the day i had to make the decission I was watching the puppy I had my eye on and inga kept climbing on top of me, it was then i had a real good look at her and thought "I like the look of you" I decided she was going to be the one and never regretted it, she was a stunner and a real show girl. I saw the one i had initially been interested in a year or so later and was happy i had made thee right decission.

I bred Imber, Yoola and Koolik, Imber was 8 weeks, I couldn't make up my mind between her and a little grey girl, I liked the look of Imber but she had no personality where the grey was pretty but not as shapely as Imber and she was full of personality. The girl who had second choice liked the same two pups so which ever one I decided not to keep she was having. She was on her way to pick up her puppy before I eventually decided, both of us were happy with our choices. Imber's personality exploded a few days later, she was as mad as a brush and still is at 12.

I picked out Koolik and yoola at 5 weeks.

Beanie I got as an adult

Loona was 9 weeks when I first saw her, I had no intentons of having a pup and am not one who makes spur of the moment decissions where my dogs are concerned but as soon as I clapped eyes on her I saw her potential and knew I wanted to have her....I picked her up 2 days later....the best decission i have ever made.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I chose Max at 2 weeks old. I was on the waiting list for the breeder for a while, and narrowly missed a puppy from her last litter. I was therefore down to have first pick from her current litter.

I didn't want to pick until about 4 weeks old, 1 because I didn't want to rush the breeder, and 2 I really wanted them to have their own personalities before I picked. At 2 weeks old though, the breeder said that a couple of the other families were quite insistant that they wanted to pick, and so I chose early.

It was soooo difficult! I had an idea of the sort of markings I would like, but at that age it was difficult to see how they were going to turn out. I knew I wanted a dog so that made it a bit easier, but there were still 4 dogs to choose from

I'm pleased with mine though it was actually between Max or Oscar, who evidently my grandad chose - he certainly got the brains of the bunch Max was last in the queue in that department I'm afraid
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I choose all mine at seven weeks although Dice choose himself he was the pick of the litter by a mile.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I had seen Ollies litter at 11 days old but didn't choose till 6 weeks on advice from breeder as we had a problem with Zanta and had to return her the breeder felt it best to leave it till then so she could start to work out which ones were more suited to me ie:not such a dominant pup in the litter.
He has worked out well he does have his stroppy moments obviously but stuff you can deal with his only fault being he is wary of strangers without dogs so we have to be careful othwersie he is perfect for what suited us a Family.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Storm was just over 2 weeks, Star if i remember rightly was just under 5 and Skye was roughly the same.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 12:59 PM
We chanced upon Louie's litter & went along to see them at 8 weeks old.
The 'breeders' were keeping the little cream girl so we picked all the other up to have a cuddle & get a feel for their tempraments.
Two or 3 of the tried to nip OH on the nose but Louie just gave OH a big kiss on the nose & settled in for a cuddle - that was it wewere smitten .
He came home the next day and although I can no longer pick him up for a cuddle (Unless I want a hernia ) he'll still cuddle in & kiss your nose given half the chance.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I think the later the better personally. The older they get the more their personalities shine through. I didn't properly choose Jaz until she was nearly 7 weeks.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >