View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't know what else to suggest Jules, it is really hard to say without actually seeing them interact if there is hope for improvement or not. If Ruby had caught the cat and wanted to hurt it she could have done so in seconds. The fact she didn't harm the cat, even when scratched, may suggest she is just playing (albeit very roughly). However the cat could have just been very very lucky to get away unharmed.

What is it that makes you think she would have killed the cat? Was she (or does she ever) growling or snarling at the cat? Did she try and rag/shake it vigourously? When she spots a cat will she run for it instantly or watch it intently for a few seconds as though she is 'stalking'?

Might sound like stupid questions but the answers might give a better insight into her behaviour.

Rather than just letting them meet on their own terms have you tried training Ruby to 'leave' the cats alone with a tasty treat or a toy that she loves? Apologies if you have tried this already! It's late and I can't recall off the top of my head what you had already tried in your last thread about the problems you are having.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:50 AM
So sorry to hear this, it's such a difficult decision to make. You have tried your best, and just have to do what is best for all the animals now. It is so hard and my heart goes out to you.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Just done a quick search and there are quite a few sights giving advice on this. (here is one).
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=0&SourceID=28

They all seem to say more or less the same. Dog on lead introduce cat, maybe in cat carier to start with. Plenty of treats for rewards and learning the leave command. Reward when they ignore.

Just a thought really, you may have tried already. Probabley take time but worth a go if you haven't tried it.

Heres another sight with some instructions.

http://home.ivillage.com/pets/0,,7cwr80kx,00.html
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 06:32 AM
I really feel for you, Jules. I have no advice, however, not having been in that situation myself, but I hope you can sort something out. If it does come to the horrible deicison, we are all here for you xox
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Really feel for you on this.... at the end of 2006, when we got Jamie, I had the opposite problem.... my cat would not adjust to the puppy We tried everything... then she made herself so ill, not eating, drinking, weeing or pooing, she went to the vets and was put on a drip etc... she completely lost her faith in us, cos of J I had to find her a new home, a cat home, where she is now a spoilt princess.... it broke my heart to do it and why I won't have another cat... Jamie was so good too... I really feel for you
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I don't know what else to suggest Jules, it is really hard to say without actually seeing them interact if there is hope for improvement or not. If Ruby had caught the cat and wanted to hurt it she could have done so in seconds. The fact she didn't harm the cat, even when scratched, may suggest she is just playing (albeit very roughly). However the cat could have just been very very lucky to get away unharmed.

What is it that makes you think she would have killed the cat? Was she (or does she ever) growling or snarling at the cat? Did she try and rag/shake it vigourously? When she spots a cat will she run for it instantly or watch it intently for a few seconds as though she is 'stalking'?

Might sound like stupid questions but the answers might give a better insight into her behaviour.

Rather than just letting them meet on their own terms have you tried training Ruby to 'leave' the cats alone with a tasty treat or a toy that she loves? Apologies if you have tried this already! It's late and I can't recall off the top of my head what you had already tried in your last thread about the problems you are having.
What makes me think she wouldve killed it is. She had the cat on its back, in her mouth and the cat screamed, she didnt get a chance to do anything else as i dragged her off her and Ruby has a slight "tight lip" which tbh i think saved the cat!!!

We've tried EVERY method possible to get her used to them but if the cat moves she wants to bite!!

If she sees a cat out she will run straight for it, no hesitation at all!!! Same in the house.

She is now searching the house ALL THE TIME looking for the cat and thats just one of them, i have 3!!!!

I will have to see if i can get something on video

Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I am thinking a muzzle is the only thing we havent tried, will maybe be our last resort
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks everyone
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that your still having problems Jules. I cant offer any advise having never been in this situation, but would just like you to know that I really feel for you - it must be so hard!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Have nothing to add to the advice already given. This must be so hard for you being torn between your love for Ruby and doing the right thing for your cats. Whatever you decide you know we are all here for you.
Take care x
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >