View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:46 PM
To be honest, if you wish to reprimand a dog it needs to be done imediately they do something wrong, regardless of the methods you use.

OK so Pepsi went to sleep on her bed and no doubt probably wore herself out.

But had she not slept, would you have kept her there once home? To send her to bed after getting home as punishment is worng IMO in this case as the "bad deed" has been and gone. Whatever you were going to do (take her home, not let her play with your aunt's dog, remove her favourite toy, stop giving treats for that time etc) needed to be done at the time she disobeyed you.

If you punish afterwards, she won't understand what she's supposed to have done wrong.

Laura xx
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Pharaoh used to be like that.. He'd catch a mixy bunny, or find half a rabbit on the field and then run around with it in his mouth and refuse to give it up. If I went to make him, he'd eat it rather than give up his prize YUK... It took me about 2 years of patient training to get him to bring me the dead animal and drop it! So long partly because Pharaoh is bless him not bright, partly because it was not a regular occurrence and there was nothing else he acted this way with and partly because he is not the least bit food motivated! There was nothing I could find in his word that had a higher value than that stinky rabbit...

Sorry to say but I'm afraid the only thing that worked for us in the end was making it a game.. If he brought me the bunny I would play tuggy with him with it and throw it for him... Thus making the bunny with me more fun than the bunny on his own.. Eventually I was able to just take the bunny away and throw a ball, but that took time... I got a very strong stomach over that time

Good luck with your training. Maybe if you work on holding and bringing you high value food, like sausages you might be able to replicate the situation at home so that you can work on it? As a gun dog, it should be in the breed to be able to hold something yummy and bring it to you without eating it.. I mean it's what they have to do on a shoot isn't it? Maybe gundog training would be good... You don't have to hunt to get enjoyment out of the training part!

Oh and you know you're going to forgive those big brown eyes and snuggle later!
omg lol, that would seriously make me want to vomit. i cant believe you played tuggy with him, thats brilliant. Your a much stronger person than i am lol. I went all weak in the knees just looking at the feet.

As for the gundog training im going to do this later after she has passed all her kennel club certs. Well i should say IF she does lol.

As for the snuggles, guess who is up next to me sleeping right now, after an hour and a bit i thought it was a bit too long. Even if she were sleeping during it all. Basically i just told her to sleep on her bed instead of the couch. No real hardship in that i suppose as she needs to learn that as well for the kennel club
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
To be honest, if you wish to reprimand a dog it needs to be done imediately they do something wrong, regardless of the methods you use.

OK so Pepsi went to sleep on her bed and no doubt probnablty worse herself out.

But had she not slept, would you have kept her there once home? To send her to bed after getting home as punishment is worng IMO in this case as the "bad deed" has been and gone. whatever you were going to do (take her home, not let her play with your aunt's dog, remove her favourite toy, stop giving treats for that time etc) needed to be done at the time she disobeyed you.

If you punish afterwards, she won't understand what she's supposed to ahve done wring.

Laura xx
Tbh i would have still put her there for about 5-10 min if she stayed awake i would have just left her to play by herself and prob woudlnt have paid that much attention to her. As for the punishment at the time she got told to sit and stay, taken away from my auntys dog , put on the lead and then taken home. I did have to apologise to my aunty tho, as they had only been out about 40-45min. But she understood that i woudlnt let her play after that
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Val, I think you've been abit harsh on her too, but I can understand.

Woody has been doing my head in all weekend (heel work and wanting to eat ''everything'' he sees) and I totally lost it today, but he doesn't know why, it's down to me to teach him why.

What I do is give the command 3x, if he hasn't done it then I remove him from the situation (however that may be) and go back to it later. I never punish him though, I just give him ''that''' voice/look.

I have to keep telling myself that it's not his fault it's mine from not teaching it right.

Sometimes though, just like us, they just have ''those'' days.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Val, I think you've been abit harsh on her too, but I can understand.

Woody has been doing my head in all weekend (heel work and wanting to eat ''everything'' he sees) and I totally lost it today, but he doesn't know why, it's down to me to teach him why.

What I do is give the command 3x, if he hasn't done it then I remove him from the situation (however that may be) and go back to it later. I never punish him though, I just give him ''that''' voice/look.

I have to keep telling myself that it's not his fault it's mine from not teaching it right.

Sometimes though, just like us, they just have ''those'' days.
tbh i really think its just one of those days. ive only actually told her off about twice and she is 9mths old now so she is doing really really well. but i think as she does so well all the time, i dont expect her to misbehave as i think she should know better. not really, she is going thro the 'teen' years lol.

never mind. i just feel really crappy now, plus i had a migraine at the time which prob didnt make things better
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
tbh i really think its just one of those days. ive only actually told her off about twice and she is 9mths old now so she is doing really really well. but i think as she does so well all the time, i dont expect her to misbehave as i think she should know better. not really, she is going thro the 'teen' years lol.

never mind. i just feel really crappy now, plus i had a migraine at the time which prob didnt make things better
Don't worry, I feel exactly the same sometimes so you're not alone. He seems to have completely forgotten his ''leave it'' command and has spent the whole weekend completely ignoring me and eating ''everything'' he can. He ate so much crap today I had to put him on the lead and hold his head up to stop him. Then, he spent all afternoon retching. It's seems OK now, but I've jsut lost it with him today.

Hayfever doesn't help ;o)
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Don't worry, I feel exactly the same sometimes so you're not alone. He seems to have completely forgotten his ''leave it'' command and has spent the whole weekend completely ignoring me and eating ''everything'' he can. He ate so much crap today I had to put him on the lead and hold his head up to stop him. Then, he spent all afternoon retching. It's seems OK now, but I've jsut lost it with him today.

Hayfever doesn't help ;o)
Awww bless, sounds like your having just as many probs as me. Its not nice when you lose your temper with them, but sometimes things just boil up too much.

Oh and i def know what you mean about the hayfever, the pollen is sooo high today. Ive got a runny - stuffed nose, blocked sinus, blood shot eyes and a really sore throat lol. It just never ends. But like i said she did pass her Bronze kennel club today so im just trying to focus on the good things she done today. And not the two bad things.

What things does woody go for and eat?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Awww bless, sounds like your having just as many probs as me. Its not nice when you lose your temper with them, but sometimes things just boil up too much.

Oh and i def know what you mean about the hayfever, the pollen is sooo high today. Ive got a runny - stuffed nose, blocked sinus, blood shot eyes and a really sore throat lol. It just never ends. But like i said she did pass her Bronze kennel club today so im just trying to focus on the good things she done today. And not the two bad things.

What things does woody go for and eat?
I've just seen that post, well done you and Pepsi ;o) Like you say, best to focus on the good eh. We're doing pre-bronze but I don't think we'll try the tests I think he would like agility though!

Val, he's a nightmare. Usually we'll walk into the park, meadow, woods, fields and he'll charge about having a whale of a time running and sniffing and playing fetch games. Lately though, within 2-3 minutes now he just scavenges and will show no interest in us or the game, or even his surroundings, choosing instead to lie down to eat sticks, leaves, weeds, grass, stones, paper, rubbish whatever is in his path!! It's an absolute nightmare! We taught him ''leave it'' and ''drop'' but none of these work now as he is so obsessed.

It's even worse because we're having to watch his diet for an allergy thing so he shouldn't be eating ''anything'' except his normal food. Yeah right!!!

As for the hayfever, don't get me started!! This year is the worst ever!! I can't bear it, it's making me so low and grouchy!! ;o)

Sorry, I guess you got me started ;o)
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I've just seen that post, well done you and Pepsi ;o) Like you say, best to focus on the good eh. We're doing pre-bronze but I don't think we'll try the tests I think he would like agility though!

Val, he's a nightmare. Usually we'll walk into the park, meadow, woods, fields and he'll charge about having a whale of a time running and sniffing and playing fetch games. Lately though, within 2-3 minutes now he just scavenges and will show no interest in us or the game, or even his surroundings, choosing instead to lie down to eat sticks, leaves, weeds, grass, stones, paper, rubbish whatever is in his path!! It's an absolute nightmare! We taught him ''leave it'' and ''drop'' but none of these work now as he is so obsessed.

It's even worse because we're having to watch his diet for an allergy thing so he shouldn't be eating ''anything'' except his normal food. Yeah right!!!

As for the hayfever, don't get me started!! This year is the worst ever!! I can't bear it, it's making me so low and grouchy!! ;o)

Sorry, I guess you got me started ;o)
Oh god he really does eat anything. Is he not infactuated with anything, ie a ball or something while out. See i didnt have Pepsi's ball tonight or she wouldnt have done that, guarenteed. See i learnt pepsi the leave it and drop it command,l and now she is a bit hit and miss with it. Her tennis ball she wont leave it. But anything else she usually does. I think its just more training for that.

You really have to have eyes in the back of your head with woody, especially if he is on a special diet as well. It must be murder for you. My friend has a dog like that who is on a strict diet and he has to put a muzzle on him, just to stop him eating everything. He is bad for tissue and paper.

As for the hayfever its murder this year. And it feels like a cold, so anyone suffering from it just feels down all the time.

Awww sorry to get you started , like you said in other posts, woody seems to be getting a lot better and the constant training is paying off . Its a shame to hear about the tests tho, i would have thought you would go thro with them?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:07 PM
ewwwww lovely

nah i dont think you overreacted... everyone acts differently in situations... you cant plan how you are gonna react

millie finds dead things and drops them - thank god.... except food - the fat little swine gulps that in one
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >