Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
I am only confused because in a lot of books it says a week max. Hence why i am on here to get your views. Like you said though i will keep at it and eventually it should sink in. Thankyou
I dont agree with that either, Ive known some dogs pick up on the idea within a couple of days, in training I usually aim for 3 or 4 days max but that is with a strict schedule, round the clock basically working with them apart from about 6 hours off at night, no scent of anything on the tiled floors and then working with that dog throughout the day which involves about 5 training sessions and an additional 4 or 5 'potty' breaks plus the fact that they are not in their own home which makes it easier....for the average dog in a home, with all the distractions that a home offers then a week is good but its not unusual if it takes longer...and then if you have a dog that has any issues in going to the bathroom anyway it will make it even longer.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Thing is a puppy can piddle a 100 times a day so once she's piddled a couple of times and you click and treat she gets the jist ( lets face it I could probably piddle for a treat if I set my mind to it ) But a poo takes a bit more time and effort ..It sounds to me like she doesn't know what it is you want ..I'd be taking her out every half hour and watch her like a hawk ..the minute that nose goes to the floor take her out ...I reckon a couple of months to be reliable and they only ask to go out if they learn it ..different dogs have different ways ..Murph scratches the door frame or will bark...Macey just has a 'look' ..she's a baby give her time
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Something that helped us with Suki was a pee, poo and food chart. With two teenagers in the house as well as OH and myself it was the only way to know what the pup was up to.

We've more or less got it sussed when she has to go for a poo - after four weeks she's started asking out but you've got to be quick as it's usually just a whine. Occasionally she gives a bark but more often or not it's a mad running round in circles with her nose to the floor

We had a problem at the beginning of the week where we took her the 400 miles back to Scotland for a visit and the first pit stop she didn't want to pee. By the second pit stop, I managed to persuade her to pee outside (or rather my son did - he ended up squatting down beside her and kept saying pee pee - much to the bemusement of some passers-by but it worked cos the flood gates opened. By the time we came back last night she was peeing on demand at every service station but no poo. She kept that for coming home once she was back in the garden!
Cyrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Just thought i`d post this after reading this thread and having simlar problems with our own pup (fine peeing outside but not wanting to poop) we followed flippers idea of placing his present that she left us in the house on the garden where he normally does his pees and its been a great help he will do poos and pees outside in this spot now and is starting to realise that he cant go in until he does his business and so very nearly doing it on command just got to teach him to let us know when he wants out now

So just wanted to say thanks flipper
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Your very welcome, Im glad I could help.
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 01:34 AM
I had another dog at home when i got morgan at 9 weeks and was very lucky he just went outside and copied the other dog and that was that. I put paper down for him while i was at work and after a couple of weeks he even stopped that. However usually i work on the principle that as soon as the pup has woke up or eaten or drank its outside to the loo. I was speaking to someone recently who had trouble with a rescue staff who wouldnt go to the loo outside. They discovered it was because it was shut out there for long periods so they left the door open and eventually it went out on its own when it realised it could come back in. One dog training club advised someone to put a puppy pen around the back door and keep the pup in there until its trained as it cant go anywhere else but its bed or outside. This is ok if the garden is secure and you are in. Otherwise best to lock the door and put paper down until you get back. Once you get one out there that should be it hopefully and she will want to go back to it next time. Best of luck with the pup they are great dogs. Remember as its been mentioned they only make a small sign they want to go out and cant wait long its easily missed.
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2006, 01:51 AM
I agree with the crate idea. Could you possibly give her a short walk in the morning...that tends to bring on the urge no problem and make quite a fuss if the *great event* happens outdoors. It won't take long after that for your dog to realize that pooing outdoors sure makes mommy happy.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, much success yesterday! i was always one step ahead!

Went for wee (& poo ) at 7am, ate, then fell asleep till 10am, as soon as her eyes opened i took her out again, 1 wee. Fed her at 12 and played. took her out again, 1 wee. Slept till 2pm when woke, took her out again, 1 wee and 1 poo! slept till 4pm went out for wee, ate, played fell asleep again till 6pm, woke, 1 wee, played, slept till 7pm, ate, played. One accident on living room !!

I think its working!!!! YAY

however OH's got her today as i have too work and apparently she hasn't done anything outside... all in the house. (personally i think he needs a bit of training! ) Ahh well, thanks for all your help guys.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
Hey guys, much success yesterday! i was always one step ahead!

however OH's got her today as i have too work and apparently she hasn't done anything outside... all in the house. (personally i think he needs a bit of training! ) Ahh well, thanks for all your help guys.
Hi Carternm31....it sounds as if you did well
...however your little one needs consistancy, if you OH fails to keep up your good work it will take much longer to train...
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
if you OH fails to keep up your good work it will take much longer to train...
Try telling him that
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2