Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I was going to ask the same question as Rune.

Me too

This may be of some help:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Playbiting.pdf
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Adolescents.pdf
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Homealone.pdf

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Whether a Malinios or a Malamute neither breed are renouned for giving easily in physical confrontation

I would say the average Malinios tend to be much more sensitive and reactive than the average Malamute but they can both be pretty determined breeds so there wouldn't necessarily be too much difference as far as what advice is given.

Both tend to do best with consistent rules, clearly and calmly applied from the outset.

I would also consider she is becoming more of a headstrong young teenager, with all that that entails, than a "baby".
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by courtnez View Post
hi everyone

i am in desperate need of help with a very headstrong mal. let me tell you a bit about her.

she is 5mths old and i have aquired her for a few months to look after *long story* but she has no manners and i've never trained a mal or had one, but have had other dogs, but shes definatley not like other dogs hence my coming here for some guidance!

shes very "teenager-ish" she nips when she says hello and is generally rough-if you tell her off ( we've tried raising our voice and the "ouch" high pitch and neither have yielded success, they both just make her go for you more)

we've tried holding her down as we've been suggested but she wont submit at all, she so very headstrong. she just gets more and more angrier and wound up.

basically, i need her to know i'm the leader but at the minute she is and shes taking the pee!

please any advice...thank you!
Hallo

Well, whether Mal amute or Mal inois the main thing is that the advice you were given previously isn't going to help and will indeed make matters worse. Indeed, with either breed (and dogs in general) there is a very real chance of trust being lost and the dog coming back at you with adult teeth and seriously hurting you.

~The advice re. the yelp tends to work only with very young puppies (under, say, 7-8 weeks). It can wind many pups up, especially terriers!! who think it's great fun

Take a look at the advice given in the link I gave in previous post, it should help lots. Main thing to understand is that dogs don't talk our language - which sounds obvious, but once you start thinking how we are from their point of view, it really helps

I'd not say she's necessarily headstrong as such - just a youngster who is being a normal youngster. Don't panic, she will bite for a while yet. The thing you need to achieve is good bite inhibition,and this will occur if you get her to stop slowly.

Using a tuggie or similar toy to redirect her will help a lot. In time when frustrated/excited as an adult, she may well grab a toy which can be very helpful during times of "stress", my Belgian does this.

What, if anything, are you doing training wise? do you use rewards for sit, etc?

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Could I suggest you read some reputable training books rather than relying on piecemeal advice?
Positive training will help you train your pup without confrontation. Some good books are:
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison
Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor
Avoid any method where you kick, pin, choke or eat crackers, and you`ll be fine.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I think the OP has been scared off as they haven't returned since last night
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I think the OP has been scared off as they haven't returned since last night
why? no-one`s been scary
courtnez
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2010, 08:47 PM
hello everyone.

thanks for all the replies! it is very helpful and i came here because i want the best for the pup, shes a mal amaute if that helps

i am going to get some books and start reading!

i am teaching her with treats, yes and shes responding well she will sit when told, etc so no problems there its just the back chatting attitude she has which im trying to work on!

she goes for 2 half hour walks a day, not just on lead but in our enclosed field we own outside the back of our house so she is physically stimulated, she has other dogs we own to play with too, who are all very well behaved and older so theres no chance of her picking up even more bad habits, only good lets hope!x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by courtnez View Post
hello everyone.

thanks for all the replies! it is very helpful and i came here because i want the best for the pup, shes a mal amaute if that helps

i am going to get some books and start reading!
Great idea, the books suggested by ClareandDaisy are excellent. Do check out the given links as well, as they are good for short term help, kind of thing

i am teaching her with treats, yes and shes responding well she will sit when told, etc so no problems there its just the back chatting attitude she has which im trying to work on!
Excellent! You may find it helpful to join a class, as she's 5 months she is too old for puppy classes, but if you can find a reputable, reward based "good manners" class or similar, you will find it is really helpful. Try here: http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp

Dogs who are strong minded in themselves are often the most interesting and enjoyable to train. I find that it's good to give them some slack and then gently "reel them in" rather than get into anything physical. Does that make sense? So in the end, they think what they are doing is their idea, when in fact it's yours! Clicker training, for example, would be perfect for this.

Best of luck

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2