Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
hmmm. The Wikipedia article on tethering pretty much concurs with my understanding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering Tethering can be over wifi, Bluetooth or cable connection. Also, even though you've got an 'all you can eat' contract, there may be a clause that forbids tethering.

Personally, I try to avoid any big downloads when I'm using my phone to connect to the net. I figure 'normal' web browsing and email checking won't attract any attention from O2 which is my provider.
Thanks Rich, they wanted me to upgrade to a more expensive package (which overall I don't need) the reason was so that I could do wireless tethering, they said in the (networks) shop that with the one I want to go for I can use the data through the laptop but use the cables and not the wireless connection. I will make sure I ask them again that this is definitely OK and work before I go ahead.

Edit: They also said I had to download 'keys' (only its not spelled that way) on the laptop first before doing that. Does that make sense to you?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I just downloaded an app - turn it on and search for connections on my lappy - put in password and hey presto I'm online
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I just downloaded an app - turn it on and search for connections on my lappy - put in password and hey presto I'm online
do you mean using your home internet on your phone though? I want to do the opposite, I want to use my phone data to go online on the laptop.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I used to do it, I have had smartphones before they were called smartphones - several breeds of Xda's
It was really easy and faster than dialup at the time
I was building websites and everything with it

Only problem is O2 one month changed my plan from unlimited browsing - without telling me and I had a £200 bill for that month

I complained loud and long and eventually got it refunded - but after that I got a landline and broadband
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
do you mean using your home internet on your phone though? I want to do the opposite, I want to use my phone data to go online on the laptop.
Yeah I mean through my phone Turn tha app on then click on your lappy connections and search for new connections, my phone shows up so I click on it and put in a password I've put on it (so no-one else can connect) and it connects to my phone 3g/gprs
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I used to do it, I have had smartphones before they were called smartphones - several breeds of Xda's

I had he first few of them phones - weren't they swish at the time
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I had he first few of them phones - weren't they swish at the time
Loved them - I actually only just upgraded my last one a few months ago - because all the new phones dont have the simple features I used every day on my phone - the ability to cut and paste calander entries
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thanks Rich, they wanted me to upgrade to a more expensive package (which overall I don't need) the reason was so that I could do wireless tethering, they said in the (networks) shop that with the one I want to go for I can use the data through the laptop but use the cables and not the wireless connection. I will make sure I ask them again that this is definitely OK and work before I go ahead.

Edit: They also said I had to download 'keys' (only its not spelled that way) on the laptop first before doing that. Does that make sense to you?
Generally speaking (I'm sure there are exceptions.) I wouldn't trust the tech advise staff in shops offer. In my opinion, most of the time it's confusing for the customer at best...
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a Nokia E72 for work , it works as a modem through tethering , I use it when travelling on the train to get online for my emails, always found it really good.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Whats the app you download please. I have a sony Ericsson Xperia
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2