Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes Monty is allowed on the sofa, bed etc

He sleeps on the sofa everynight, in the same position, between my legs!

I don't see it as a problem as long as he gets off when told - which he does! - Unless it is time for bed (he also sleeps in our room ) and he is too tired to get up lol!

His hairs are a pain to get off the sofa though - no leather in our house!
Clarita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Would say No. Would not let our puppy Sebastian on our sofa or chairs, lick or bite the sofa!! He has his own beds! He is not allowed upstairs either. Even in the garden he is not allowed on the flower beds. He has his areas we have ours - he needs to know that hubby and I are pack leaders.

Think if you have a pack of dogs then it has to be/needs to be one rule for all otherwise it is not fair on the whole pack to make exceptions for one only- just as if you have a family all children need to be treated equally/fairly- that is my humble opinion anyway.

Good post!!

Warmest wishes to all, hugs, Clarita and puppy Sebastian
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Mine don't get on the furniture, I've always discouraged it as I like to be able to find a space and with this lot there would be nowhere for my butt. They do have big leather bean bags to lounge on and each one is big enough for two big dogs. They used to have an enormous leather bed in the conservatory but I've removed it and just lately Syd has taken to sitting on the sofa out there, obviously the rug just didn't offer enough comfort but to be honest I'm not fussed about him sitting on that one.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Dogs and sofas are absolutely fine (I have both) but they should never be left unsupervised.

Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Dahlia is allowed on any furniture she wants to get onto. She doesn't have to be invited and just gets up on her own (Unless someone is laying on the couch and then she'll come to an end and lay her head there...when we move our feet, it's the invitation to get up).

I don't believe for one moment that a dog on a couch = elevating status, showing dominance, being alpha or packl eader or any of that other nonsense.

Edited to add: Haha Johnderondon! I'm glad my girl can be left unsupervised on ours. She spends all day on it when we're out. I know because it's warm when I get home and covered in hair. lol
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't like sitting on the floor + I love snuggling with my gang = dogs on sofas, beds etc!!!

They do have to move when told and I always take the prime corner spot OH is such a softy that he'll let Pepper keep it if she's settled.

Interestingly Pepper, who is a very confident independent dog, has always been absolutely fine about being moved, whereas the boys, who are both much more biddable dogs have each tried it on (only with OH, not me! )and had to learn that it's a privilege not a right.

J.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I really think it is a personal choice. Our compromise is a bean bag we can share with the dogs. In Merle's Door the author had one sofa he allowed pets on.

johnderondon makes a good point. Some dogs can be left loose in the house unsupervised and some can't.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes definitely...
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Of course it's a personal choice. But many people think they're dogs are going to take over the house and don't allow them on furniture because of that, when they WOULD if they knew that wasn't true.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes

Crysania, I'm with you.

I really don't believe that letting a dog on the furniture makes the dog think he is 'pack leader' or make the dog any more 'dominant' than they might already be. If I ask either of mine to get down because they're muddy or we've got guests, they do immediately. Likewise, if we're eating or drinking on the sofa then they know they're not allowed up and jump down when they see us coming.

Sometimes it's practical in my experience, Pauls little brother's toy traintrack running around the floor, shift dogs up on the sofa!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »