Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Someone on another forum said (and googling seems to confirm it) said that the maximum tint regulations only apply to the front windows/windscreen. I am thinking a Berlingo-esque van would have been more helpful but to be honest the dogs don't go in the car that often and I wanted something nice to drive day to day!
As someone who deals with the RTA on a daily basis etc I can confirm that you can completely black out (as per limos and funeral cars) the rear window, and rear passenger seats.

The only windows you may NOT tint are the driver, front seat passenter and windscreen.

HTH
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Someone on another forum said (and googling seems to confirm it) said that the maximum tint regulations only apply to the front windows/windscreen. I am thinking a Berlingo-esque van would have been more helpful but to be honest the dogs don't go in the car that often and I wanted something nice to drive day to day!
Whilst that is true you have to decide whether you can drive safely with windows blacked out, the tint we have makes reversing a challenge in the dark, if it were darker it would be worse.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Whilst that is true you have to decide whether you can drive safely with windows blacked out, the tint we have makes reversing a challenge in the dark, if it were darker it would be worse.
I don't really rely on the back window when reversing if I have the dogs in the car as you can guarantee 99% of the time all I'll see in the rear view mirror is Kiki's face or Casper's bum but it is one reason I'd prefer something removable in preference to permanent tint film.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't carry the dogs every time I drive it's the works car park at night I dread as the walls are close together and it's a squeeze to reverse through.

I guess I am lucky though as Duncan is in his crate on the back seat so no visual problem and Mollie sleeps in teh boot area again no visual problem.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

It is no different than driving a van with no windows, you just use your wing mirrors The rearview mirror is more or less superfluous when estimating width........
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the interior guard wouldn't allow for easy access when driving, there's only room for one passenger in the front (the rear seats go flat and guard sits on top) so would be very awkward to reach.
Training-wise, I think I will be better off arranging stooge situations and rewarding the dogs for being non-reactive at a gradually decreasing distance, I'm just after something in the meantime to stop them practicing the habit/help stave off the headaches
In which case window shades would be a lot better. If when you get them they still give too much vision of the outside you can at least attach some darker material. Do shop around though because more and more companies are selling them.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 02:01 PM
i tried training Mia not to react in the car - but seeing as usually I was the only one in the car I had no way to keep her calm driving to and from places to try and train her - hence she just got worse and worse
Honestly a covered crate has been the best option, she now arrives places calm and happy
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is no different than driving a van with no windows, you just use your wing mirrors The rearview mirror is more or less superfluous when estimating width........
I know that's why I wouldn't drive the van we briefly had, I use the back window and side windows, mirrors (all 3) and if I could persuade hubby would have a parking camera lol Hate hate hate going backwards !
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe just cellotape some tin foil to the windows? It would keep them from looking out, and also help reflect heat from the car.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Maybe just cellotape some tin foil to the windows? It would keep them from looking out, and also help reflect heat from the car.
Careful that doesn't blind other drivers !
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >