View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 10:37 AM
What a shame for your niece and her OH A very expensive lesson to learn.

I agree with contacting Trading Standards, but think they have probably lost their money unfortunately.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
this is a girl who has grown up in a family ALL are dog savvy and aware of what to do
How disturbing is that?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
How disturbing is that?

totally agree??? I just cant beleive she has done this she KNOWS its wrong.

Mo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Well as I knew someone who used to show dogs and then bought a puppy from a puppy farm then there is no hope for those who don't know!
Becky
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Look at the positive side. There are at least two people who will never make such a really stupid mistake again!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Well as I knew someone who used to show dogs and then bought a puppy from a puppy farm then there is no hope for those who don't know!
Becky
Exactly, if this is the people that know then the one's who don't haven't got a chance!

I'm sorry for your niece Mo, what an expensive mistake to make but hopefully she will tell everyone she knows and more than herself and her partner will learn from it and perhaps think twice when looking for pets!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
There is a part of me that thinks at least it's only humans being hurt by this scam... I don't mean that in a nasty way to your neice, nor do I condone the scammers. But I guess at least there is not some poor Chihuahua locked in a tiny dark cage churning puppies out.

In a way perhaps your neice should be grateful that this has only cost her £1000 and not the heartbreak of actually getting the poor sickly pup who would break their hearts and their bank balance with vet bills.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
My neice and her partner I heard after the fact other wise they would have been advised of the correct way to get a dog were getting a Chihuahua from a breeder in Cornwall?they somehow, found the breeder on the net, sooo turns out they had to pay £250 deposit then the breeder came back and said they had to Pay another few hundred for the shipping, then ANOTHER couple of hundred for the paperwork, bla bla bla so they ended up paying over £1,000 for the dog who they expected to be shipped out to them and arrive Monday morning, guess what NO DOG, the money has been taken by the "breeder" they paid through something called Western Union I beleive, and this is not protected. they contacted the breeder by phone initially, the breeder said if they have any worries they could contact the local authorities to check him out (they didnt) and now they cannot get the breeder to answer the phone ?AND THEY ARE SURPRISED? they went to CAB for advise non forthcoing, they went to the police who say they need more evidence and that they cannot trace the person because it was probably a pay as you go phone that has been gotten rid of now. they didnt see the dog for real, they never saw the parents, they just saw a pic on the internet and fell for it hook line and sinker, the bloody idiots. I said to them why the hell didnt you come to me I would have somehow found you a decent breeder their answer well we didnt think, yeah well they got that right arghhhhhh.

Mo
This is a police matter and the suspects could be traced either through the payment or the IP address on their internet connection. It requires some paperwork to get authority from a Superintedent for the IP address and a Production Order from a Crown Court judge to get the bank details, but it can be done. I suggest your neice goes back to the police and complains (formally) until she is blue in the mouth. This case has probably been screened out under "requires disproportionate amount of effort". If your neice makes enough fuss it will start to seem proportionate. Good luck!
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Oh dear, I feel sorry for your neice.

There are so many scams out there, I know one site where the majority of adds are scams. Most of the time the so called breeders are not even in this country.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Im so sorry to hear about your niece but i must say that im a big ebay fan and that Weston Union is not a good payment method. Im sure ebay warns you to stay away from them as if you see this method of payment its usually a scam and you do not get anything in return and its very hard to trace the people as well. Also unless your niece gets in touch with the police im not sure if they will be able to find them
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >